About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010






Hans is doing just fine. He is cruising along, counting his blessings. We went in for an office visit and a counts check yesterday. Everything checked out okay. We got the go ahead to start ROUND 15 of Millennium today. What a great trial this has been for Hans! We are looking forward to the day we get the all clear. Remember when I hoped we'd clear in 1 -3 rounds? Well, now I don't really care how many rounds it takes. I'm just pleased and amazed that we are moving in the right direction.


My mom called yesterday with very sad news that my grandpa has been admitted to the hospital and is not expected to recover. His whole family is gathered around and right now we are there in spirit! I had to share this picture again. Hans and Papa have a special connection. Hans gave Papa multiple long back massages this summer. They also made their annual raspberry jam together.



One of my favorite memories of Papa was the Christmas I bought him a book of quotes by Yogi Berra. It was really fun to watch him flip through the book, tears streaming down his face through his laughter! I am sure he was remembering some of these quotes straight outta the press.


In honor of my grandpa, I'm going to share a few of those quotes over my next posts. We've got all World Series Fever over here, rooting for SF! We actually WERE rooting for Phillies, but oh, they didn't quite make it. I guess I should explain, we used to live in CA - not far from SF in Santa Cruz. We are obviously huge fans of Astros, but don't know too much about the Rangers, so GO GIANTS!


"It ain't over till it's over." - Yogi Berra

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up someplace else." - Yogi Berra

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

"In baseball, you don't know nothing." - Yogi Berra

"It ain't the heat, it's the humility." - Yogi Berra

Peace, Love and Cure, Lara

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Lara, may your dear Grandpa and Hansie's "jam" buddy make this transition with ease...such a special man!

What a wonderful photo!

Special hugs and love,
Aunt Susy

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of all of you!!
Your "Papa" is one of the kindest man I know.
I know that all of you Weberlings are there in sprit.

Love,
Pat K.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Lara!! I can't tell you how sorry I am. I know the relationships you have with your family, as my family really mirrors yours, so my heart just aches for you! Your "Papa" is such a sweet, sweet man.

With love,

Shelley and family