About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Friday, October 29, 2010



I got a couple dozen pictures from Carla at Kiss the Moon Photography today.
I'll have fun sharing these with you! Thank you so much Carla! Carla donated her time and talent to get these pics for us. I think it's so sweet of her.

Update: Hans is hanging in there on Day 3 of Round 15. It is a busy weekend around here with Halloween parties, get togethers, trick or treating, more pumpkin carving, soccer playing, bike riding (Kevin and I registered for the BP MS 150 next spring - so we have to start getting in training rides!!!), and more. Elle is doing a "rock a thon" tonight at school. Hans helped me haul my much beloved and well used glider rocker into the school today. She will rock for 4 hours with her bandmates to raise money for the band department. Sounds like fun! I'm just hoping this whole weekend gets to happen!!! I don't want to jinx us, but Hans has a pretty bad case of the sniffles as of this morning... but NO FEVER!!!!! He did have a pretty nasty headache last Saturday, but then Elle gets those too. Sometimes it feels like we are just hopping over landmines. Oh, how nice it would be to trick or treat from home.

My grandpa is to be sent home on hospice care today. My cousins and aunts have been working around the clock to retrofit his place for a new medical bed and various equipment. BIG job when you've been in a place 50 years. I wish every elderly dude had the love and support that my grandpa has!!! I wish I was there to roll up my sleeves and dig in. He'll be sure to have a good view of the TV for the World Series. In that vein, and for my grandpa, in fact for all of the grandpas (we've lost three this year - Kevin's dad's dad Len, Kevin's mom's dad Bud, and Kevin's stepdad's dad, Don!) I've got a few more Yogi Berra quotes, I love these!

"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

"It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much."

"The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase."

"Slump? I ain't in no slump, I just ain't hitting."

"The future ain't what it used to be." - Yogi Berra

Peace, Love and Cure,
Lara

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let Carla know that we're loving the pictures - thanks for posting them! Took the one of Elle and Hans over to Grandma's last weekend. Hoping Hans sniffles fade away and he gets in some trick-or-treating :)
Love, Aunt Holly and Uncle Michael

Anonymous said...

The pictures are so wonderful! It is amazing to see how grown up Hans looks in the new bio shot you added.

Last night when I told Papa about Elle's Rock-A-Thon he said, "A rock band huh? How much do they need?" And that pretty much says it all .....

0X0X
Mom