About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Monday, April 20, 2009

Long Weekend

We had a CRAZY weekend. For a bake sale update, with Vickie's help (thank you Vickie, Jennifer and Pat for making this impromptu bake sale happen so swiftly and smoothly!), we were able to move the sale to Bryan/College Station for plans B and C... We worked out of Mary Branch Elementary where loving Erin fans bought more lanyards than we have ever sold before. We took the show on the road and set up at a Wal Mart where we continue to sell down most of the baked goods. It was incredible, and so far we are at $2,200, with a little more anticipated in the sales of non-perishables this week. Awesome! It's one way to honor a can-do kid. Thanks to all of our (thirty some?) bakers and to Carmen and Michelle who travelled with us for the adventure! Vickie kindly took Hans away from all the bake sale insanity for a little R&R back at her place for several hours yesterday, he loved it!

As for Hans, I think I ran him into the ground just a little bit over the weekend, Kevin had been out of town in Colorado on a field school. So, Hans had come along with me. Well, Hans fell asleep at about 6:30 Saturday night, in the car on the way home. He slept through the night, and into Sunday morning when I noticed he was twitching a little and sweating, and cold. Oh, it was scary. He was having another Hypoglycemic event. Petite seizures and non responsive. Elle placed the 9-1-1 call for me and I very shakily drew up his emergency Solu Cortef injection and gave it to him. The aid car and fire truck were here before I knew it. His blood sugar didn't even register on the monitor. (It had to be under 40 for this reading.) Hans got an IV placed and got Dextrose. They loaded him up and had the him in the ambulance before we knew it. I seriously think we were leaving within 20 minutes of placing the call. Elle rode shotgun and later noted we were going 80 in a 35! I rode in the back with Hans where the EMT completely traumatized me when she said, "he should be responding by now. I'm concerned." I had to place a call to Kev, out in the field, hours from the nearest airport, from the ambulance. By the time we made it into the ER at St. Luke's here in The Woodlands, the doc had a much calmer perspective. All of Hans' vitals looked okay - except a temperature that was scarily low at 96 (rectally, which you are not suppose to allow them to take on a hemonc kid, but I was talking to the doc and an RN did it under my radar). The doc told me he thought he'd be okay, that Hans was just sort of sleeping it off after his hypoglycemic episode.

Hans slowly started coming around, to take drinks of Sprite and the chips and Salsa that I managed to grab on the way out the door. By 2pm we were discharged, and Kevin had made it to Grand Junction, Colorado to catch a flight home. All is well that ends well??? I've relearned the lesson that we have to keep Hans' jacked up on sugars and foods, around the clock. When we met with Endocrine back in November, we shared our feeding habits, and they told us it was unnecessary to be so extreme. Hans basically eats like a WWF wrestler, yet he has a 3'3", 33 lb frame. Our Endocrinologist believes that in addition to being prone to Hypoglycemia, Hans also has a food absorption issue. He requires many times the normal volume of food for a kid his age. I actually think he got enough to eat yesterday, he just fell asleep too early, so that he wasn't able to eat around he clock the way he usually would. Let me tell you, I have a full time job as a short order cook! I have to thank Michelle who came to scoop Elle up from the ER and take her on a fun adventure to Huntsville State Park, and Carmen, who came to pick Hans and I up from the ER.

Hans is now very happy to have his dad back at home, eating, dancing around the living room, blowing up balloons and water balloons. We are going to head to the grocery store to stock up everything that we are out of, and then try to be at Glen Loch Elementary for Kindergarten Orientation at 1pm. Everyday is an adventure. Everyday is a gift.

12 comments:

The Adkins Family said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you guys had such a scare, but relieved that Hans is okay. Each day is a gift!

Glad the bake sale went so well!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a weekend. I am so glad Hans is ok. You go SUPERMOM!! Give Hans a big hug for me!!

The Alexander's said...

Wow, scary indeed. I am so glad that everything turned out ok. My thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow! That is a crazy weekend. So glad Hans is feeling better and dancing around the living room. Great job on the bake sale.

Margot and TeamSam

Anonymous said...

Lara, we know that you did a terrific job in a tough situation! It was nice that Kev was able to make it back to see that Hans was ok. And, what an amazing big sister Elle is! How many 10 year olds can handle a call like that (let alone adults)! She is one super girl!!

Love to you all,

G. Kathy & G. Dale xoxo

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness,
I am glad Hans is feeling better.....
I think Elle is such a wonderful big sister to deal with such a grown up situation! You all take care- claire

Theresa said...

I'm so glad that Hans is fully recovered from his terrifying ordeal. We love you guys and are keeping you in our prayers.

Laura said...

I come to your blog from Erin's. Thank you for bringing your show on the road this weekend. I made 3 trips to the sale all together and really appreciate the opportunity to get lanyards, shirts, and yummy treats! I'm glad Hans is feeling better. Yikes! What a scare you had!

Anonymous said...

INDEED, all is well that end well!

I must say the four of you are an extraordinary team!!!!!!!! Elle you are THE sister deluxe!!!

Hans' ability to rebound in such short order is amazing, too!

My love and bear hugs to all of you, Aunt Susy

Anonymous said...

Wow, Elle is so grown up. I can't imagine how other children her age would handle such a 911 phone call. So glad Hans is ok!
Claire

suzanne said...

Glad all ended well. Congratulations to Elle for keeping her head and doing such a good job! I'm sure you were all exhausted once everything settled down. Good work, Mom!

Glad that the sales went so well!

Anonymous said...

What a scary episode yet you sound totally calm! Absolutely amazing you all are to read about during your continued journey. May the next week be less eventful and full of JOY!

Prayers and hope,
Leann
www.caringbridge.org/visit/bronsonbalzac