About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Monday, April 27, 2009

Switching Gears


Hans and Kevin at Elle's Spring Choir Concert
Hi - I didn't mean to let a whole week go by! Most importantly, Hans has been fine:) He is doing normal stuff and eating like a little lion cub. As I type this, he is grazing on a small plate of bacon, a quesadilla, a bowl of chicken noodle soup, dipping chips in salsa, with a side grated cheese and the ever-present ice cold Sprite. Kevin and I try to keep his plates full. I have still been nervous between 6 am and 7am, but all has gone well. I forgot to mention that it was only 7:45 am last Sunday when all the excitement happened, it wasn't like I had allowed him to sleep in until 9 or 10. I think I've been a little shell shocked, and in some ways I feel we've been set back by about a year and a half (that was about when Hans' last Hypoglycemic event happened). But, we know that we have to remain vigilant, and trust our gut instincts, sometimes over the doctors, because he is just a kid who is a little different than he "should" be if you just looked at his chart. I've tried to free up my schedule a bit, and I did decide to cancel this week's Chick-fil-A fundraising nite for the CNCF. I just didn't feel like I could promote it right this week. We will reschedule for a night in September, in honor of National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month.

It's good I slowed things down on my schedule, because my little firecracker, Elle, is having a busy couple of weeks. For some of the highlights:
- Tuesday she competed in the District Fun Run. Her singular goal for the fourth grade was to make the cut, which she did with her 7'18" minute mile. Go Elle!
- Wednesday Elle started Volleyball with Coach Debbie!
- Thursday Elle's school choir performed its Spring Concert and we beamed with pride as she sang as one of the two soloists - I'm not sure how the video came out, but I took a brief film, I'm trying to post it below - keep checking back, I guess... Probably a little shaky...
-Saturday she wrapped up a great soccer season with a good team, that has lots of fun moms on it (my favorite combo). We had a fun pool party after and I had to pull Hans out of the pool after several hours of 'partying'.
- This week Elle's adventures continue - I will update more on all of that next week. We sure are proud of this fun, well rounded bright girl of ours. She's an excellent big sis to Hans and a joy to parent! I am mostly proud that she just goes for it - in so many different areas:) Everyone knows we are proud of tough little dude, Hans, too. He has this ability to go into autopilot when things get tough, and just kind of 'get through it'. I think we can all do that to some extent, but it is sure neat to see how gracefully Hans transitions right back into normal life and attitude after a tough time.

Kevin and I celebrated our anniversary this weekend in a very low key fashion - with take out and a movie marathon! We had planned to go out, but we were feeling a little wiped out and enjoyed ourselves just taking it easy around the house.

Finally, Hans did start up on Round 4 of ABT751. He is doing fine, it seems. He even avoided his Saturday night insomnia. We continue to pray that he can keep tolerating it, and that it will do the job of keeping the disease away. Thanks for checking in on us.

Lara

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you guys are enjoying all of Elle's special activities! Yeah for Hans with no sleepless night! Take Care- Claire

Anonymous said...

We're proud of ALL OF YOU!!
Have a good week.

Love,
G. Kathy & G. Dale

Anonymous said...

Happy belated anniversary!! My congratulations and love to you both.

Besos,
-Erin