About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bake Sale Postponed Due to Ike

Hi Everyone -
I just wanted to be sure that all of our bakers, sellers and shoppers got word that the Memorial Bake Sale has been postponed due to Hurricane Ike. Hopefully IKE won't be that much of an event - but it's better to be safe than sorry. We want each of the families to be able to participate in this day safely! As soon as I get my hands on dates for travel to UCSF I'll throw out some more ideas for dates.

As Shelly pointed out, Houston is likely to be on the "dirty" side of this storm, [for our friends who live elsewhere, the dirty side is the east side, as hurricanes move counterclockwise they are more dangerous and faster as they blow in off the water] and we don't want our friends coming from hours out to be put in harm's way. They'll likely scale back appointments and be operating on a skeletal staff - so we won't have as much of a customer base. It's better to wait so we can raise a lot of funds for NB research!

Meanwhile - we are working on our own contingency plan for Hans' treatment. They aren't overly prepared in clinic yet, but I am going to bring my overnight bag tomorrow, just in case we are detained as inpatient. I'm getting back-up plans for Elle worked out, and it's all kinda crazy!!! I have heard it said that text messaging can be the best means of communication during a bad storm since the phone lines can get swamped so easily. So, MOM - you might have to learn how to text - i just sent you a test message. But, Carm, just not while driving;)

Lara

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, gosh...so glad you are planning ahead!

Be safe...I just heard this is a category 4 hurricane, headed right for the Texas coast!

Praying the storm looses its' punch before arriving on shore!

Love and prayers abound for EVERYONE!

Hugs,
Aunt Susy

Shelly Cassada said...

Love the pictures!! Such a handsome little man!! Stay safe during the storm. Looks like it has taken another turn and getting stronger..

Vickie said...

Elle can evacuate to our house in Bryan. I have tickets to A&M/Princeton soccer on Friday night. Did you make it to the Dynamos?

VB

RoryL118 said...

Hey Kevin & Lara,

I'm so sorry to hear this bad news about Hans.

You guys were so generous about loaning us your car when I was down there for my treatment for brain cancer! I can't thank you enough, that was so nice to be mobile down there.

I've been hearing the updates from Andy & Sasha, and this is my first time on the Blog, but I wanted to see if I could help in my own way by suggesting going to the Burzynski Clinic in Houston for a consult. Their treatment has been shown to be effective in more than just brain cancer and it may save Hans!

It's still not FDA approved and not convered by insurance and not cheap. I still owe $80k+, but they have been very kind and worked out a payment plan with me without late fees, interest or pressure. It will probably be paid off in about 25 years, but I would have paid any sum for my life, or the life of one of my children. Here's the link: http://www.burzynskiclinic.com/

It's worth it to have a talk with them. It was my last option because I had tried everything else and nothing was working, and now here I am 2+ years later, writing you.

I wish you the best.

My hopes and prayers are with you and your family!

Best wishes,

Rory

Cell (360)607-3809