About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Irino/Temodor Under Way




Hi -
So for a 'quick' post and update - we are finished with Days one and two of Irino/Temodor. So far it seems to be going okay. The main side effect doesn't seem to be hitting Hans!

Hans went to school today and we plan to send him tomorrow and Thursday. I guess he got on the teacher's chair today and explained to everyone that his was port was accessed so they shouldn't touch it or run around. His class seems to have fallen in love with him. Whenever I pick him up just before lunch, it seems each student has to say goodbye, hug him or give him a high five. I feel for Mrs. Nusbaum - I'm willing to pick him up in a less disruptive way. Mrs. Nusbaum reports that Hans is adjusting quite well to the routine of being a Glen Loch Gator! How cool is that? I couldn't be happier with his team - to the point that I don't even worry about him during his 3 hours of school (unless the phone rings!) I try to take a nice long walk and pick up this place a little bit...

Today Hans got to ride home with daddy - so he was pretty happy about that.

I wanted to post information about a couple of upcoming events:
There will be a Blood Drive in memory of Blaine Brandon on Saturday, September 13th at: American Dream Cycles in The Woodlands

Also - the Sparrow Clubs is doing a Bunko Night for Hans - their theme is
Highlanders for Hans. The Bunko will be Oct. 4th. How cute! For more information you can email: Sparrows@YourHomeTown.com We sure appreciate that Alison Kilway, Travis Kilway and the Highlanders are doing this for our family. I can also forward you the flyer, if you email me at kevinandlara@hotmail.com

It looks like Hurricane Ike is coming right at us. Bakers, please bear with me a little longer - Kevin and I are watching it, watching Marathon Oil's weather alerts, and we're staying in contact with clinic staff. I'll try to make the call by tomorrow evening as to whether or not we can go ahead with the Memorial Bake Sale on Friday, or if we'll need to reschedule.

The Pics above are from our Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center photo shoot back in June. We have no idea if any of them will be used in the Blood Center's Print Media or not...

I'll post more when I find out about Ike.

Lara

4 comments:

Kerri Schaefer said...

I was in clinic today and you were seeing the doctor. Sorry I missed you. Praying for these drugs to kill the chemo so you can get foinf on the cure for Hans! Love you!
Kerri
www.carepages.com
visit:buddhabelly

Anonymous said...

How cool is Hans in his kindergarten experiences! And it is no surprise that his classmates are demonstrating so much compassion and kindness towards him - kids are amazing little people. What a great learning experience for everyone.

Praying Hurrican Ike doesn't cause too much trouble for clinic visits or the bake sale. Look for more beading supplies to arrive in the next few days.

Love and Hugs, G. Kathy, G. Dale XOXO

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah for Hans!!! In spite of the minor disruptions in class routines, he and his classmates are gaining volumes! Little people can be very compassionate and wise, and I am sure this special teacher facilitates this sharing. Wish I were there to share the experience!

I am glad the new therapy is going well, without side effects.

I hope the hurricane misses you!

Hi to all!
Love,
Aunt Susy

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

Oh man, that eyebrow raise he does is so cute! You are such a beautiful family!