About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Accutane, Round 5 Complete!

Yay! Can you tell we're excited? Round Five is complete and now we get to enjoy two weeks off the stuff before the last two weeks of Round Six. Hans actually seems to start doing better on his second week. So his skin is looking a lot better right now. We're really just happy that he has been able to handle it, despite its challenges. I saw an article yesterday that Accutane is also being used a bit for other adult cancers, to prevent relapse as well. That was encouraging. We're really doing this for a reason!

We have one of those rare weekends without tons of places to be. It has been actually quite nice. We're trying to have a marathon work party in the back yard, enjoying spring and getting ready for Hans' surprise...I'll share more in just two days! Elle and I had fun taking a trip to the garden center for some annuals and starts for a little herb garden and some tomatoes. We also picked up a few seed packets - zinnia, sunflowers and pumpkins. We'll see how that goes. The last time I tried Sunflowers here, it was like it my special treat for the squirrels. It feels so good to be doing normal stuff! At this time last year we were in very different/rough place preparing for BMT and getting over the shock of the second surgery and all of its complications and that terrible second line infection... Needless to say our yard was pretty neglected. So, we've had our work cut out for us. But Kevin and Hans had to take a trip into the office yesterday - and Kevin has been studying well logs - oh well. (He is a Geologist for Marathon Oil Co., with natural gas wells in the Anadarko basin of Oklahoma if I have never mentioned that before.)

On another note - my Aunt Michelle, up in Seattle, just got through a Rotator Cuff surgery. Those are tricky! So - I'm glad to hear that she made it through the surgery well and is now on the road to recovery.

More later -
Lara

2 comments:

Vickie said...

Wow! Done with Round five. That means Hans will be accutane free by the time the Texas sun starts beating down at its fullest. Sounds like the perfect time to enjoy.

VB
erinbuenger.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

My name is Amanda Nourse and i would like to show you my personal experience with Accutane.

I have taken for 6 days. I am 27 years old. My dermatoglogist put me back on Accutane partially because Klaron, Rentin A, & Doxycyclin were NOT working....I have been on Accutane before about 7 years ago so not too concerned about the side effects. With my previous run on this medicine I didn't have the severe back aches. I will say I did have tons of issues registering with the IPledge website...all too confusing all to combersome! Didn't have to do that 7 years ago. Since this is my 2nd go round I can say that for me there were no depression issues because my skin looks awesome ...tons of compliments. As with all things once I stop so will the side effects. This medication is obviously for those with severe acne so you should certainly weigh the pros vs. the cons...for me I didn't think twice...

Side Effects :
I've been on Acutane for 6 days now & I will say my back is aching terribly & my lips are DRY!

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Amanda Nourse