About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Big Night

And not necessarily in a good way - we were all set for a big night of Hans' buddy Zach's birthday. Hans was going to attempt a sleep over birthday party for the first time. But, about an hour before the party started he said, "Mom will you take my temperature, I think I am getting a fever." Sure enough - 99.6, then 101.3. High enough for a trip to the ER. I spent about an hour scrambling - getting Elle set up with a host family (Thanks Shawn!) that could take over getting her to soccer, restocking the emergency hospital bag, which thankfully we haven't had to use in quite a while...

Meanwhile, Kevin was on his way home with his new ride. The little white truck has seen better days...it was time. We actually passed each other on the freeway. Kev let Elle see the new car (Jetta TDI SportWagon - fuel efficient - Kev's excited!) drop her off at Shawn's, then he turned right around to join us in the ER.

Hans never got too hot, but he did look a little wiped. Sort of low BP, sort of high Heart Rate caused some concern among the docs. But, after half a bag of fluids, and a dose of IV antibiotics he was looking good. They debated and at one point planned to give him a mini transfusion (4 oz of red blood cells), with a HGB of 8.6 I didn't really get it, but was sort of willing to go along, but then they decided that with his very strong ANC of 4500 he was good to go home. We promised to call if more fever popped up.

Made it home by 1am to sleep in and completely miss Elle's first game since she was taken care of (I would have had to leave here at 5:30 to make it there on time, and I do seem to need a full night's sleep when possible.) I just touched base with Shawn, Elle made a goal and our team won their first game! I'm heading out for the remaining games today - and Kevin and Hans will do the guy thing here at home...

That's whats going on!


PS - I am now under the impression that the quote from the article yesterday is a misquote - it should have read cancer, not NB.

1 comment:

Ashton Blackman said...

We have only done that once...You made it sound so fluid. Great Job Hans for realizing he had a fever coming on. Glad you are all making the most of the rest of the weekend. Prayers for smooth sailing the rest of the week.