About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Monday, August 23, 2010

1st Day o 6th Grade plus a couple vaca pics


Elle at bus stop this morning

Elle and me at the top of the ridge

Hans giving my grandpa a back rub (How cute is that???)

Kids riding

One more back to school shot

Hans has got me pretty well trained not to take too many pictures. He really screams and carries on when the camera comes out - it's ridiculous - managed not to get one picture of the kids with my parents - what's wrong with me???

Sooo...I've got one kid off to sixth grade. Wow! She's soo big. I can hardly believe it. I keep looking at her and saying things - like, you only have 7 more years before college! She's like - yeah, but that's SEVEN whole years!

She's fun. Made it through the tournament, but the games got harder - just fatigue/exhaustion kicked in. AND, she had these awful blisters on the back of her heels. I'm just glad she doesn't have a game this weekend.

On the Hans front, we weren't cleared for the classroom this year. Not yet, anyway. My heart is always a little heavy this time of year. I think about all the angel kids I know. I think about their moms today, and I try to figure out what grades they would be going into. I think about all the kids I know that are too sick for school. Hans' homebound program starts tomorrow. I know this is actually the best thing for him right now. There is just no way he could do a full time school situation, but I was sort of hoping he'd be able to be there at least part time. He seems to be happy as can be about the situation though!

Hans had no more symptoms after being sent home Friday night. We are waiting for confirmation from CHOP that it's still okay for him to start the next round.

That's the scoop!

Lara

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Elle is pretty as ever! And Hans looking mighty handsome...from the side :)
thanks for posting the pics!

Love and hugs, Aunt Holly & Uncle Michael