About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Hans is Still Doing Fine as a Glen Loch Gator

Hi,
So - just a quick good news report. Day 2 this week and we are doing great! I still keep saying 'pinch me!' Hans practically ran out the door to the car this morning. I guess he was maybe just ready for all this school stuff. He and Zach are pretty cute together! The early pick up seems like a good idea to start him out. Also, we get around the PE and Recess issue by leaving school after lunch. I have been trying to get the school to give him an aide for those two periods - because if he gets hurt, he'll need the nurse's immediate attention (with his lack of adrenal glands he doesn't produce adrenaline and he needs a stress dose of steroids immediately upon illness or injury...) but I have no idea if the school will find a way to meet my request - so we'll have to see what happens. But, I figure we're good with picking him up after lunch at least until he has a good month under his belt. To be honest, I'm just glad that I don't have to try to figure out how to home school him. I just don't think we have the right dynamic for that to work out well. And, I am loving getting to take a nice long walk in the morning. Hans isn't usually up for a long stroller ride...

We just got our tickets for Philadelphia. We'll be up there 9/22 and 9/23 for scans. I'm starting to get a little of that scanxiety setting in, especially with his recent complaint of headaches. He hasn't had very many, but it's odd and any new 'symptom' always makes you a little sick...

I forgot to mention that Hans lost his two bottom baby teeth! One while we were up in Seattle, and the other the weekend before last. I was excited to see that little milestone happen right on time, just after he turned six. Pretty cool. I'm totally thrilled to see the permanent teeth working their way up. We have heard of some NB kiddos not developing their permanent teeth buds, depending on where they were developmentally when they went through radiation. So, hey, that is something to be thankful for!

Fun to give some good news and I hope to just keep dishing it out!
Thanks for checking on us.
Lara
One more pic from first day of school, where you can see the missing teeth!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI!
Great photo of the school boys...with or without teeth!

GRAND photos of the birthday girl and gathering of friends!!!!

Enjoy your walks, Lara...I hope that somewhere in the mix of life Kevin can get outdoors, too!

ELLE...how's school!?????

Love and hugs,
Aunt Susy