About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Going Forward

Hi there,
I think I'm not quite ready to post again. But I think I shall. I wanted to let everyone know that Hans is doing GREAT! He has finished Round 3 of ABT751 without any further complications. Thank Goodness! And, he's wearing an actual shirt today, thanks to Alex and family, who brought him a green HULK shirt to College Station yesterday. I guess they are going shopping for an Iron Man shirt this week! That's kind of a big deal for Hans, whose preference for jammies is going strong for many months now! Hans and Elle and Alex spent the day with Tracy's boys Colby and Riley while EB and Josh kept watch over them yesterday. Thanks so much for that! Hans had to go in for counts today. So far so good - but we're still waiting for a report on his chemistry's. It was a great treat to have last week off of clinic. Apparently, we only have to go in two times for counts in each three week cycle. Hans is enjoying time off therapy until next Friday when he'll start Round 4.

I was able to attend Erin's memorial service yesterday, with a pew full of friends from TCH. It was terrible and wonderful at the same time. Congressman Chet Edwards attended, and gave an excellent testimonial. He called Erin the best teacher he had ever had. And then, the pastor talked about going forward - he did a great job, addressing the 5th-7th graders there, but it was just right for me, too. I realized yesterday that everyone loved Erin the way that I do, and she truly made everyone feel special and connected. I cannot stop thinking about her and her family, and I appreciate the way that everyone in Hans' circle of support has included her family in their thoughts and prayers at this time. At this time of loss, we are also thinking of those who have gone before Erin, children's lives cut too short by NB, and keeping each of their families in our prayers as well.

I will post more later. Please plan to come out to The Woodlands Earth Day Festival (free event) from 10 - 3 on Saturday April 18th at the Woodlands High School on Research Forest Drive. Look for our Bake Sale in the Green Market. Proceeds will go to the CNCF as a tribute to Erin Buenger. Thanks to all the bakers who are making this event possible!

Lara

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe those of us that can't attend the bake sale in person could all make a donation, in Erin's honor, to lunch for life! Hope the event is a huge success.

Love, Kathy

Anonymous said...

Step it up Lara- maybe Hans wants some Armani!!(haha:)) I am glad to hear he is doing great. I know you looked for Erin in clinic yesterday- I think we probably always will. I always looked for the fuzzy hats (that i secretly wanted to rub. they looked sooo soft) and of course the white mac.

The Adkins Family said...

What can we do for the bake sale? I know it's last minute, but if I could buy a bunch of cookies, cakes etc. I'd love to bring them over. Let me know!

We will be at the festival on Saturday, also. See you then!