About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Last Call...

I just found out our troop has 17 boxes of cookies to unload. Elle has sold 491 boxes, so with 9 more sales she's reach the 500 box point. Wondering if anyone needs more cookies? I could get them to you asap. I think the cookie mom is ready to deposit the $$$ soon and get the Council off her back! Thank you so much for all you've done so far. We have collected about 210 boxes for the RMH and are just waiting for the House Manager to call us back to nail down a delivery date and mini-tour! I am looking forward to the cookie drop off experience for the girls. It's not so much the project itself, but the idea that you don't have to be rich and powerful to make a difference. You just need to have a little heart, make a goal, and come up with a plan.

I can't buy anymore cookies - I am just too good at eating them! I got sooo good at it, in fact, that I was thrilled when Ash Wednesday rolled around and I had a good excuse to stop by giving up all sweets for lent. It is not exactly easy for me, but not too hard. It was great though, on NPR the other day, Elle and I heard a review of a kid band called Lunch Money, and they played a snippet of the song "I want a cookie as big as my head!" I think it's a pretty good theme for this Lenten season.

Hans is having his own Hans cravings. He has been powering through the chips and salsa. He can seriously eat a normal-sized bag of Tostito's in just over a day. We buy the Jug-sized salsa, and it doesn't last a week around here. It's crazy, but today we got chemistries back - a high (for Hans) Potassium of 5.0, and a slightly low sodium of 133, I guess his body just knows what it needs. So, we are adjusting his potassium supplement downwards, and salting everything for him. They want us to come back next week to make sure his numbers are doing the right thing. The good news: Liver panel was a bit high, but not too bad. We'll start Round 2 of ABT 751 tomorrow!

Lara

3 comments:

Vickie said...

So happy to hear you are moving in to round 2 of ABT and that Hans has a hankering for chips and salsa. If you ever make it back to Bryan we'll take you to Gina's. My family loves their sauce.

VB

Anonymous said...

Great job on you troop's (and your) cookie sales. Maybe you should all have a cookie to celebrate!

Good news on Hans' counts. Hope this next round is uneventful and he keeps on track being a regular kind of guy!

Love, G. Kathy/Dale
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Glad Hans is doing well! Patrick loves to sit & eat chips and salsa too. Wow -I can't believe it is time for the 2nd round of ABT 751. We'll be in the clinic on Monday, maybe we'll see you guys....
Have a great weekend! claire