About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Not too much to say!

I guess I may as well post - but there is not much going on here. We took Hans in for an appointment with Endocrinology. It was okay. I can't seem to turn off the part of my brain that has normal mommy concerns for Hans - 'why does he not seem to be growing or gaining weight?' despite the fact that we feed him like a lion cub. Well, the vibe I get off of all the doctors is that we'll deal with that down the road. I guess it makes sense, but it can be a bit of a bummer. They think perhaps he isn't absorbing his food well, so the treatment is to feed him more. I think we have certainly been doing that!

Hans' blood counts are looking better and better. His potassium was actually starting to go up, so we get to back off on one of the doses of potassium each day.

Hans LOVES to be back at home with some down time to practice playing with all of his toys, seeing some friends, running errands with me, hanging out, and just doing all of that normal stuff.

Elle started basketball, so that will keep me running around.

We are getting all of our arrangements worked out for our return to Phila. Grandma Kathy will be coming down here to care for Elle in our absence:)

4 comments:

suzanne said...

good news on the counts!
Hans is a little young for the teenage "hollow leg" syndrome - but perhaps he's just stocking up for a growth spurt!

Kerri Schaefer said...

Thank you from the bottum of my heat. As you struggle with facing Cancer you still give tohelp these kids. We love your family and we love HANS!!! Always praying and doing things like this for you guys! One day there can be a cure!

Kerri

http://www.active.com/donate/snowdropfoundation/milesformalachi09

Kerri Schaefer said...

I would like to order two Lanyards from Ellie if this is okay. I would like one that is pretty green and blue and one the is Maroon and white or silver. Let me know what I need to do and where to get you the moeny to when you get a chance!
Kerri

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys! I haven't posted for a while but I do pray for you and check your blog. We got your card today, I love the photo! Kathy gave us a framed one at Christmas time so we have a new photo of the kids in our living room. I'm glad you are able to enjoy some down time at home. While you are in Phila. and Kathy is in the Woodlands, we will be in Chaleston,SC visiting our dauhter, Melissa. Hans will probably take a big growth spurt in his own time. Mells' brother grew 4inches his first quarter of COLLEGE, bizaar!!! You are always in our thoughts and prayers. Luv Ya, Cindy