About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Sunday, November 30, 2008

starting week 2...

Hans and Elle in the Lobby this evening

Grandma Stephanie (lara's mom) at the Liberty Bell yesterday

Lara and Elle Thanksgiving morning at the Ronald McDonald House (first RMH ever)

Here is Hans a few days ago as the MIBG infusion was going in. Notice the plastic sheet and the lead-lined panels. They rolled in a special cart for the infusion.

Once again, I have failed to capture Kevin on film this week...

Hi again,
I finally got my laptop hooked up to add a couple of pictures. Hans is doing alright. He is really very very low energy and not at all peppy. He hasn't been up for much at all. We think he is okay, though. With no fevers, we haven't called the on call docs all weekend. We are hoping his counts are okay - but we have no idea what to expect tomorrow. It's a little scary that he's not doing so hot given that he's going into another round of chemo - back to back - he's never really had two straight weeks of chemo! Kevin and I were sort of thinking the same thing, that he hasn't looked this puny since he came home from Bone Marrow transplant in May of 2007. He has been sustaining himself on chips and salsa and Sprite. He is also making his daily trip for ribs. He isn't complaining about anything, but he has said that his leg, and then his feet are tired. But, tingling and numbness were some of the temporary side effects...

Even though Hans hasn't been up for it - we have been able to break out in various groups for some sight seeing - the Farmer's market, Christ Church, Ben Franklin's Grave, Betsy Ross House, The Liberty Bell, Center City - etc... We've also spent some time with Kevin's cousin Andy, his wife, Krista and we've met their cute little 2 year old, Ruby. Elle went to the Zoo with them one day last week while Hans was inpatient. We also went to a very cool old church this morning- St. Agnes and St. James and found a precious little statue that looks much like our Hans, if I'm able to I'll try to upload a picture (I don't have one yet). The girls also snuck out last night to actually go watch Twilight - yes, I do indulge in reading the teen vampire/werewolf romance series and since it was filmed and set in the northwest, we went to check it out!

Kevin and Elle fly out early tomorrow morning to go back to school and work, and my mom, Hans and I will stay here at the Sheraton until at least Tuesday, when we can see if we can get back into The Ronald.

Thanks for keeping Hans in your thoughts and prayers. A few others in the fight against NB and relapse on my mind these days as always are, Patrick, Erin, Colby, Will, Sam, Layla, Michael, Sirine, and my friend Kelly, as well as all the angel families as they go through this Holiday season without their precious babes this year...

Lara

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys sorry that I have not left any messages just as I am geting to it someone pulls me away from the computer. I am so glad to hear that Hans is doing so well. Kids are truelly amazing I dont think that we give them near enough credit:) just wanted you to know that we are thinking about you call me when you get a chance I would love to catch up.
Tracy Ash

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a wonderful view of Hans and Elle in the lobby!!!!! 'Tis great to see them cozy and together...big sis and her best guy!
Gosh, I can only imagine how draining Hans' MIBG was...I am sure he will gain stamina as each day passes!
Great to see Lara and Elle wrapped up with one another, and I am glad G. Stephanie was able to venture out, too!
KEVIN...where are YOU?????
So glad Elle is getting to know Andy, Krista, and Ruby...we ARE great families!
As always, the little ones remain in prayers...such great gifts in little packages!
REST...snuggle...and hug!
Love,
Aunt Susy

Anonymous said...

Hey Hans and Family - I saw a flyer for Friday's bake sale at TCH - I am planning on coming back and supporting it.
Take care of yourselves, y'all are important to us!!!

Anonymous said...

Fun pictures - thanks for posting them. I did a double-take on the Elle-Lara pic! Elle - you've gotten taller since I last saw you, looking very grown up :)
Hoping Hans side-effects fade quickly, his energy perks up and the rest of your stay goes great. Glad you got to see Andy, Krista and Ruby! And, glad you're all getting out in small groups to see a few things.
Love, hugs and prayers to you all!
Aunt Holly and Uncle Michael

Vickie said...

Have you made it back into the Ronald yet?

Thinking about you every day.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lara -
Just wanted to check in & say "hello" :) I enjoyed your photos. I hope that Hans handles the next round OK....he is a tough cookie!!! I am getting my baked goods ready for friday & will miss seeing you there. Take care & thanks for all of the updates.
Shannon
www.caringbridge.org/visit/seanyboy