About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Friday, November 28, 2008

Discharged!

Hey there-
We had a discharge day! Yay! I have to say I am happy to be out of that room. And I know Hans, Kev and the rest of us are too. It was a crazy set up. I am willing to offer my consultation advice to hospital administrators for streamling, efficency and comfort...I haven't figured out how to get them to listen to me, much less pay me thousands for my brilliant insight. Aren't I an expert by now???
Anyway - back to Hans. He is doing fine! He is very happy to be Foley-Free - VERY happy about that. He got his Day 5 of Irino, a quick MIBG scan, and he was de-accessed today and we were out the door. No fever, no vomiting, no bad counts, nothing but a little defiant meds-taking behavior. But, for now it's all good.

We had to check out of the Ronald McDonald House late tonight. We knew we'd be needing a room at the Sheraton for a few nights since The Ronald has much much higher standards than the federal government for being 'Hot' with radiation. Even though Hans measured just a 2.2 today, he can't go back there til Tuesday. So, we are all getting set up at the Sheraton now. We have the weekend off, and just hope that Hans continues to do well. We'll go in for chemo on Monday, he'll get more counts and we'll take it from there.

Have a good weekend, thanks for checking on us. We are glad we are done with that first week of MIBG therapy and are easin' on down the road...

Lara

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Hans and family - I'm still checking in - thanks for the update. You guys are in my prayers! I enjoyed your comments on suggesting improvements, sometimes administrators are too close to see the obvious, but then sometimes they just choose rules over people

Claire Rider said...

I am glad Hans is finished with part of the treatment. I continue to pray for everything to go well!
Love, Claire

Anonymous said...

Good to talk to you if just for a moment today! Hope things settle down for you and you can enjoy the weekend. Tell Hans that Harley gave me all kinds of kisses this morning.....I couldn't get him to stop! I am thinking maybe he made a phone call to the animals that I don't know about! I also think that most of those kisses were for Hans! Tell Elle her bday present will be waiting for her when she gets back to Houston!
Love to all and you are in our prayers!
Aunt debi and family

Anonymous said...

WHOO HOO! Fabulous news!
Way to go Hans! Now, Daddy and Elle can enjoy your company before heading back to The Woodlands!
Everyone REST and snuggle!
We are doing the happy dance in NM for ALL of you! So are the snowflakes!

Love and Hugs,
Aunt Susy

Anonymous said...

Yeehaa! Glad this stretch of your Philly visit is done! Hope you all a bit of luxury for a few days :)

Love, hugs and prayers,
Aunt Holly and Uncle Michael

Vickie said...

Enjoy the Sheraton! and have some holiday family fun.

VB