About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Back from CHOP!

Hans, entertaining me with air guitar and lip synch at yesterday's lunch at Mad Mex




Hans, playing DS in the Suite - Sweet! Check out the new hair coming in on the irino/temodor;)
Hi guys -
Thanks for your emails, calls and thoughts and prayers. Kevin made it through his umbilical hernia surgery okay (ouch, just in some pain!), and Hans and I made it back from CHOP. I was so stressed about just making it all happen, I hadn't exactly expected to have such a pleasant experience. Hans and I enjoyed checking out a new city. I tried to frame the trip as "hopping on a plane to meet one of Dr. Russell's friends". He wasn't really on board until he got an idea - the morning before we left, he asked, "do they have pancakes up the hotel?" As soon as I replied Yes - he was sold. So - Hans ate his way through Philadelphia. We compliment each other well, since he is a little lion cub carnivore, and I'm more of a semi-vegitarian, or as my friend Josie used to call it a 'chickitarian' - he could order the NY strip steak, and I enjoyed the sides. He ate his first street Hot Dog, and a student in the U. Penn area pointed us in the right direction to chips and salsa when he needed them. The only time Hans had a problem was when we had to push away from the breakfast table (pancakes, ham steak, etc.) to make it to the appointment. He actually cried and screamed through the streets on our short walk to the hospital. Going into a new hospital is always a maze. We were somewhat bewildered trying to find the right elevator to get into the Wood Building when an angel of an employee championed the cause of pushing the stroller while I held a screaming/crying Hans, and she got us to the right spot. It actually has ceased to amaze me now that things happen like that. A stranger will just fall out of the sky and push the stroller for you when you really need it. Thanks to that lady - I told her she was an angel. I hope she didn't get in trouble for being late to work!

As soon as we got into the clinic, as I had hoped and figured, Hans calmed down and got into clinic waiting mode - just playing his DS and waiting it out. The consultation went great. The plan is just to get a look at Hans' scans next week, and get a second bone marrow aspiration done. If there is still activity on the MIBG scan, then we will likely do the MIBG treatment up at CHOP the end of this month. If not, then, that's great news and we have other options to look into...

We have a long list of thank you's to people who helped get us through these past two days - TWO of our neighbors who brought meals last night - Dan and Cindy, and Pam and Rick! Carmen who not only got Kevin to and from the procedure, but filled his prescriptions and picked Hans and I up from the airport, Anne who dropped us off. All those donors who gave us the miles for the flight, the Dillon family (friends of Michelle) who donated Sheraton hotel points. We stayed in a beautiful suite after we found out the Ronald McDonald House was full. And, thanks to our Sparrow Club friend Dodie - who pulled some strings and got us a special announcement on the Plane and a tour of the cockpit. Fun! And thanks to Pati and Tom and my mom's friend Christine who sent us special gifts that made this week a little easier!

9 comments:

Vickie said...

Welcome back and congrats for making it through the big adventure. Do I remember you are doing scans on Tuesday just like Erin. I think we have a really early morning CT and an early afternoon bone scan. If you are going to be there we'll bring the lanyards we made. Erin has actually been making them with particular buyers in mind. If they catch on we'll think about having a lanyard sale at the school.

VB

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back. Hopefully you all can relax a bit. Maybe if you are up to it I will see you tonight.

Athena

Anonymous said...

We love you guys.....pl

Anonymous said...

Look at that handsome guy with the new hair coming in--and I love the 'Mr. Brave' t-shirt!! Exactly! John's got Mr. Mischief, but I think we might have to look for that one to wear when we go for scans/pokes. Glad you had a good time of it and CHOP didn't seem too daunting--we'll be thinking of you next week and praying for pretty scans!

Sarah Thweatt

Sunny said...

I am glad it went well! It sounds like you two had some fun times together! I love the pictures of Hans at the restaurant!

Always thinking of you all.

Lots of love, wishes and prayers,

Sunny and family

Anonymous said...

Oh hooray! I'm glad you had an unexpectedly pleasant trip and that Kevin's doing ok. If you do end up going back to CHOP, we have to talk, I know Phila pretty well and can point out some things to see and do and eat.

Some very very belated birthday presents are coming your way soon... man, I'm bad, I know. But always my thoughts are with you!

xx
erin

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that the CHOP adventure went well. I have to admit I did email John Maris and tell him what an amazing family you all are. Great that Kevin came through the surgery with just a little owie :) If you guys go to CHOP for treatment please let me know as I will make it a priority to come and visit so that you can at least see a familiar face in the Northeast.

Sending you all love and hugs...
Shari

You can email me at shari@feinberg.org

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear everything is going well. I hope Kevin is healing up quickly. Lara, I believe God truly has sent you angels. I love that hair Hans!!!Love, Cindy

Hans Weberling said...

Sunny - do you think he looks a litle like my brother in these shots???

Lara