About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Back at it...

Hi guys -
Wow - long time no post. I didn't bring my computer while on vacation, and was a little off line. I guess that's good for a change.
I wanted to let you know that our trip went GREAT! Hans was healthy and in good spirits the whole entire 10 days. We did pace ourselves a little bit, not packing in nearly as much action as usual, but I guess that was okay too! I felt really nervous about being too far out from the hospital/Seattle. So - we didn't do any over nights anywhere but my mom's. I am thankful to our friends and family for working with our schedule and being so flexible about seeing us when we could see you. It was awesome! There were a couple people we weren't able to hook up with - but there's always next time!!!

For the highlights...we hit a family reunion, a birthday party - for Max - with the Blue Angles (an air show), we went to the Pike Place Market, did the Space Needle, took a ferry ride, roasted marshmallows, had a couple of family picnics and get-togethers, Hans rode Grandma Kathy's horse Eddie, and made jam with papa, my grandpa, and even went to listen to live ukulele music at my aunt Pati's community center. We got to see so many friends and family and we even got to meet our new niece/cousin - Emma! My cousin Joe treated me and Kev, along with my uncle Dean to a Mariner's Game - it was my first trip to Safeco field. It was nice! Elle and Kevin were able to do some outdoorsy stuff together - they did a 10 mile round trip hike up to Lake Serene on Mt. Index. Kev was totally impressed with her ability to keep up and even sometimes set the pace. He also said she was the only kid on the trail. They also did a daddy-daughter camp out with our friends Andy and Sierra. They had fun despite a scary midnight raccoon attack. Elle will stay four more days to get out of this round of chemo as well, and we'll pick her up Friday night.

Hans is back it - he just started Round 5 of Topo/Cytox. We're condensing it to 4 days again, since we were traveling yesterday. I'm happy to knock off a day. Hans had a wonderful trip and loved every minute of it! He was a very good sport about visiting Children's Hospital Seattle. I really thought they did a great job of working us in, taking care of us and meeting our needs. In our 10 day vacation, we visited Children's Hospital on three days for counts. Hans was lucky not to need a transfusion! I was impressed with meeting Dr. Park, the Seattle local NB doctor, who was able to squeeze a visit with Hansie into her schedule!

Thanks to Aunt Holly and my cousin Joey who let us borrow their wheels in Seattle. That was very sweet. And, thanks to Michelle who fed our three cats and did some impromptu hurricane preparedness at our house when Eduard showed up! Thanks, also, to the Smiley's who babysat our fish for the duration.

I WILL post pictures. But, alas, not today... Also, we did get the exciting news that Hans has been adopted by Sparrow Clubs. This great group of kids is going to adopt him as their "sparrow" child, and organize a fundraiser for him. The funds will be used for expenses related to his ongoing medical care. We are humbled that they have selected Hans and I know this group of kids is going to be very special to our family. I would encourage other families facing a pediatric cancer, or other serious medical issue to check this organization out: www.sparrowclubs.org. Facing such a medical situation in a child can certainly maxx out a family budget, so we think it's wonderful and amazing that such organizations are out there.
Lara

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Missing you all! It was great to see Hans - Eddie was honored to give him a ride (and one of her shoes!). I bet Honey was glad to have Hans home. He loves all the animals.

Hope your clinic days go fast, are uneventful and Hans is on to more fun things.

Love, G.Kathy and G.Dale XOXO

Anonymous said...

Hi! It was so great to see you, Hans, and Elle, sorry we missed seeing Kevin, next time. We were so honored to be invited to the picnic. Hans looked so good what a good sport with all the photos and hugs. It was a special day for me, I hope I didn't squeeze too long!!! I hope all goes well this week for you all. I will be joining the family for lunch with Elle before she leaves on friday, I'll be sending more hugs back with her. Love, Cindy

Kerri Schaefer said...

Glad you had fun with the family! Way cool, Elle! The Daddy/ Daughter camp and hike sounded amazing. I am glad you and Kev got some rime to catch a game and be together. Hans keep up the great work of beating NB! You can do it! We love you and pray for you often!
Kerri
carepage:buddhabelly

Anonymous said...

I had a great time visiting with all of you. I'm pretty sure we could send Hans a bucket of rocks for Christmas and he'd be happy throwing and hearing the "water burps" as they it the water.
Looking forward to lunch with Elle on Friday, along with Briahna, who's very excited to see her again.
Glad you had a safe trip home.

Love, Aunt Holly & Uncle Michael

Anonymous said...

Good morning!

It is great to find you on line again, in touch with so much great news!

Sparrows ARE delightful high-fliers...Hans will have to research the different types and discuss them with his wonderful support team! Another aspect of life to explore!

Hiking IS great fun, and I am pleased Elle and Kevin were able to enjoy their treks...raccoons can be determined invaders!

So glad Hansie's treatments are going well!

Love and hugs,
Aunt Susy