About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Arrgh...some bumps in the road...

So - I thought we were just flying through this last round of chemo, and then...
Yesterday didn't end up getting chemo:( Each day they check urine saturation and all day yesterday it was too concentrated. Finally at 4pm it checked out, but then it was too late to get chemo. We are already here and rarin' to go, but I still haven't heard if his first sample passed the test. It was actually a little scary b/c our nurse handed me the phone and it was Dr. Russell - it's basically never good news when your Oncologist calls you out of the blue. So - I don't really understand what it all means, but I'm hoping it's just related to possibly being a little dehydrated. So - I'm putting the call out for prayers that Hansie will make it smoothly through just three more days of chemo, that I'll be able to handle it too, and that his little organs will be protected from these five rounds of chemo, and also, that the stuff does its job and scans are clean. We will be doing scans at the end of the month and then, once again, we'll be making some pretty heavy duty decisions.

I guess Hans will have to go inpatient on Saturday, since he'll be getting weekend chemo. We'll see what that's like, I'm not sure if they'll keep him for 24 hours, or let him go. Yesterday was kind of a bummer - I guess I had my mind so wrapped around powering thru this round and being done on Friday, that I was really thrown off. Ah well...

Lara

PM update - oh, so his first urine checked out okay and it looks like we're back on track, he did get chemo today and things are looking up, so I'm feeling a little better about things!

5 comments:

Kim Tyler said...

I'm so sad that times are this hard for you all. But your courage and optimism always shines through, and it is clear that Hans is loved, massively, every day. That's got to count for a lot! We are sending love too, as always,
Kim

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so pleased you have received a "thumbs up," and Hans is back on his treatment track!

I can only imagine how difficult all the ups and downs must be...I so admire your tenacity and strengths.

Get a good night's sleep...prayers, love and hugs all the way around your sweet family!

Aunt Susy

Vickie said...

Go Hansy Go!

Anonymous said...

Lara,

We're praying for Hans big time! What a little warrior he is!

We sure enjoyed the time we spent with you guys. While I wish it could have been endless, I truly appreciate having the time we did together. Greta got another visit with Ellie at your mom's, too. She came home exhausted because of late into the night chatting.

Love and prayers,

Shelley

Anonymous said...

We're aying lots of prayers for all of you. Glad things are looking up! Cindy