About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day Post

Hi again,
For another update - Hans is doing okay. It's a little freaky he's starting to slow down and look a little worn out. His counts came out great on Thursday, but by Saturday morning he wasn't quite the same. I guess this could be electrolytes, calcium dips?(Due to the Zometa dose), or probably just the to-be-expected drop in counts after the chemo. We don't have another visit til Tuesday, but we might call and try to get him in to check counts on Monday????
My mom left last night to go back to school and finish out her year. It was nice to have her! We sure get homesick for all our family with all these medical events.
The other day, Kevin and I were talking and he said that he thought we'd been in the hospital half of the last month. I pulled out my date book, and we'd actually been inpatient 20 of the past thirty days. What a whirlwind. We're still sort of reeling from being just about to begin a semi-normal life off treatment, just 1 week to go on Accutane/Cancer treatment, and then being whirled back into it all. All I can say is UGH.
The good news, though, I think, hope and pray, is that Hans is doing a lot better with his arm. He is moving it more, it is looking more normal and he is complaining of less (some) pain. We found out we have scans next week - an xray Wednesday and an MIBG on Thursday. I was happy to get the exact dates that we wanted! Less waiting! Kevin and I both somehow have a good feeling about these scans.
On a fun note - Hans got his first early birthday present - thanks to Grandma Kathy, Grandpa Dale, Aunt Holly, Uncle Michael, Aunt Debi and Uncle Mark went in on a Nintendo Wii! What fun!!! Thanks guys!!! I think Elle is the one to beat. She has beaten us all at golf and she knocked me out in boxing last night. I told her I was going to start calling her Sporty Spice.
One more thank you- to our friends Carmen and Jim - carm's been coming over here to take care of our dog and she brought us an incredible meal. The meals are such a nice treat! Alana, Charon, Beth and Mathilda have all brought us meals in the past couple weeks - Michelle's also been a great help with our Honey dog too!
I attended Chloe's services on Thursday night. I was amazed that Anthony, Chloe's daddy, did such a beautiful job of speaking throughout the event. Tracy (Colby's mom) joined me and there were other TCH staff and families. I can't get that little girl's sweet smile off my mind this week. All I can say is that she was really sweet, really special and very loved.
Happy Father's Day to our Dads, Grandpas, and all the daddies out there... I can plainly see every day that throughout all of his treatments, Hans knows that he is fiercely loved by his daddy!

Love, Lara

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Father's Day to Kevin and everyone else.

I'm keeping good thoughts and crossing my fingers for clear scans this week.

xoxo
Roxie

Anonymous said...

Lara, Kevin, Elle & Hans;
I received your email today about Hans possibly becoming our Sparrow child through our organization Sparrow Clubs USA @ The Woodlands High School. Thank you for your interest in Sparrow Clubs. It is truly the most rewarding organization in my opinion. My son, Travis is the local chairperson at the age of 14 and will be in touch with you shortly. My heart goes out to each parent in your situation. For those who read this and aren't aware of Sparrow Clubs, I would encourage each of you to find a local project and get involved. We do great things for great kids!! You can go to my website to learn more: www.allisonkilway.com/sparrowclub.html
Best wishes & prayers, Allison

Anonymous said...

What a concidence that I should read Allison's blog about Hans becoming a Sparrow child. We have a Sparrow child in our community and this weekend was the annual team roping competition to raise funds for the organization. The team roping is a memorial roping organized as a way to honor a young man killed in an auto accident and help a child in need. It has become a huge event. What an honor for Hans to become a Sparrow Child and such a huge help to Lara and Kevin. They are truly blessed to live in such a wonderful community. We're greatful for the way you all have embraced Hans and his family.
Happy Father's Day Kev. You are a wonderful father to both your kids.

Love Mom (Kathy) and Dale XOXO