About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Chloe Belle la mas Bella

.
Hi all-

Our beautiful friend Chloe Belle Castillo passed away yesterday morning, two days before her 9th birthday. Chloe was diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma on her 7th birthday two years ago.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to her parents Joyce and Anthony, her sister Chelsea and brother Cory. The Castillo family is the best of the best, and we love them dearly.

Chloe was diagnosed about 4 months ahead of Hans and we met her family on the 9th Floor at Texas Children's almost immediately after he was diagnosed. All of the patients rooms are situated on the outside/window-side of the building. Everyone's rooms open to a hallway that runs in a circle around the floor. Since everyone is hooked-up to fluids and chemo, and we can't always leave the floor, this is kind of our social roller-rink. This is where we met Chloe. Hans is often sassy when people walk by our room and want to visit. When Chloe used to walk by Hans's room she would say to her parents, "Don't stop...He's going to kick us out!" I love Chloe for that observation....I think all the cancer kids can read each other's minds.

All of us families lean on each for support. Sometimes its physically and emotionally at the hospital, other times its passively through phone calls, blogs and emails. We are super grateful to have become friends with the Castillo's and especially little Chloe. We will miss her so much.

P.S.
(This is a photo of Chloe Castillo with her great friend/future Hall of Famer Craig Biggio. Craig still lives in Houston and is the national spokesperson for the 'Sunshine Kids' charity/foundation benefitting children with cancer and has made it his life's work outside of baseball. We all love Biggio!)

Kevin, Lara, Ellie, Hans

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Lara, that is so awful about Chloe. We have been praying for her. Poor baby. I know our situation with Luke wasn't the exact same, but we had the same outcome. If Chloe's parents would like to talk, I would love to hear all about Chloe. They are in my thoughts and prayers tonight, as are you guys. God bless you all!

With a heavy heart,
Bernie
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lukehaberman

Vickie said...

I read Chloe's obituary in the Houston Chronicle this morning (about the first time I've read the Chronicle all year and there it was staring me in the face. I didn't cry because Erin was looking straight at me and thought I was reading the comics).

Sorry we didn't overlap at clinic today, but when they say you can go, man you don't listen twice. Erin really wanted to see Hansy (that's what she calls him. I don't know why). She remembered he was so upset last time we ran into each other. She had brought abook from home to read to him, just in case he felt better today.

VB
erinbuenger.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Lara,

Thank you for the update. We're all praying for Chloe's soul, which is happy in Heaven, and we pray that the Lord blesses her family with the strength He gave my sister's family.

Sending big hugs to Hans,
The Tierneys

Anonymous said...

I am very saddened to learn of sweet Chloe's passing. May Chloe, her family, and friends find peace, love, and joy as they honor her bravery and brightness.

Thank you for letting us get to know her greatness.

I will be thinking of Chloe....

Love and hugs,
Aunt Susy

jerricaharris said...

Hi. My name is Jerrica & I have a son who was a cancer patient at TCH also. His name is Vincent and he passed away in April when he was 6 months old. I always saw Chloe & Joyce at the hospital & they both always made me feel more at home & warm inside. I think about them both alot. After my son passed, I got online & tried very hard to find a way to contact Joyce to find out how Chloe was doing, but I was never able to find a way to get into touch with her. I was thinking of Chloe today and decided to try again to see if I could find their contact info online & thats when I saw your blog. I am so upset to hear that Chloe passed. The last time I left the hospital I saw Joyce & she told me Chloe was doing so good and was almost through with her chemotherapy. I cant quit crying, thinking about that angels pretty little face. I was wondering if you know of any way that i can get ahold of Joyce...? I would love to talk to her & thank her for always making me feel better about my sons condition. If you have an e-mail address or anything that i can use to get in-touch with her, it would be greatly appreciated. God bless you & your family. I will be praying for your sons healthy recovery! =]

P.S. I dont know how to use this web-site. I made an account only to get in touch with you to see if you knew a way for me to get in touch with the Castillos'. If you can please reply any information that you have to my email address, it would be greatly appreciated. Im not sure i would be able to figure out if you had responded on here or not =P. Thank you & take care.
jerrica_harris2006@hotmail.com