About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Monday, May 05, 2008

Some Potentially Scary News Over the Weekend

Hi Everyone,
I have put off posting this - but I figure you all probably need the information parcelled out just like we do. Sometime last week Hans started to complain about his right arm hurting. I think he could sense that I was very scared about it, so he stopped complaining. Anyway, I finally shared my concerns with Kev on Saturday and we wound up calling the on call docs. Dr. Craddick thought we should bring him into the ER at TCH to make sure there wasn't a fracture. Hans and I spent about 5 hours down there, doing a small series of xrays. The results were inconclusive, but there was something suspicious/"unhealthy" looking about the bone in the upper rt. arm. One possible explanation is relapsed NB. Of course we're praying that this is not the case. But - I wanted you all to know this is what we might be up against once again. We have scans tomorrow and I am sure Dr. Russell will get in touch with us quickly. I think the benefit to having a little warning is that I've been able to do a bit of research on the many many clinical trails out there for relapsed NB. It's very overwhelming, but at least we've had a couple of days to help formulate semi-intelligent questions for a possible big meeting with Dr. Russell.

We have always been pretty open with our kids. As Hans and I were waiting for our car outside of the ER, I told him that the Dr. thinks maybe his "boo boo" is trying to come back in his arm. Hans just took a big breath and said, "Well, my doctors are gonna have to get it outta there." So - that's the attitude we all must adopt. We've got to get it outta there. I am trying to cultivate a focused calm, but as you can imagine - that's difficult. Thank you for your prayers and support.

As I was waiting for the oncall service to return our call, I told Kevin that we were going to get Hans a dog. It may be completely insane, but I was very clear that this little guy needed a dog as a source of unconditional love and joy! I think it'll also do Elle a lot of good through another potentially scary time in her life. And like I said in my last post, Hans showed such faith and belief that he would get a dog, who was I to stand in the way? He shows the same faith that the doctors will get this boo boo out of there too, if that's what it even is...

I'll post more when we know more.

Love, Lara

11 comments:

Vickie said...

Lara,

This is not what I wanted to read this morning, and I'm sure not what you wanted to be writing about. The Dungan's in Fort Worth have spent the last couple of months trying to track down something that wasn't right in Sydney's arm, and so far it hasn't proved to be NB. I'm hoping there is a simple and treatable explanation. Erin and I will bake this week and send stuff with Tracy. In my mind, I had hoped that I would need to get down to Houston to retrieve Davis and his stuff and that it would coincide with the sale. He surprised me by coming home early, so now I don't know. I think I may just send you the fifty bucks it would cost in gas and lunch and stay here in Bryan.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that we had some scares in the two years before Erin relapsed that turned out to be nothing or at least something besides NB. Keep Hans' attitude in mind and post when you have some news.

VB
erinbuenger.blogspot.com

Shelly Cassada said...

Lara,
I was coming on here to Thank you for the beautiful bracelet! I love it! But when I opened up and started reading your post, I realized that I have to begin praying very hard! I will be praying for something, anything but NB to show up in scans. I know the anxiety you fell when they complain of any little boo-boo. Thanks for the bracelet!!

Kerri Schaefer said...

PRAYING....

We love you!
Kerri
carepage:buddhabelly

Claire Rider said...

Hi Guys,
Oh...this is not want I wanted to read, but I am praying extra prayers for this to be nothing!!

Patrick says "Hans I hope you feel better and I am praying for you very hard."
Love, Claire & Patrick

Anonymous said...

Like Shelly, I was jumping on to give you a big thank you for the bracelet I just received, and it seems it couldn't have come at a better time. I'll be wearing it in ernest while we wait to hear the results of the scans. Forte, as we say in Italian -- stay strong!

Mucho love
Erin

Vickie said...

Thinking of Hans all day today! By the way, I love your Honey and am glad that all my Willie stories haven't turned you completely against dogs.

VB
erinbuenger.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh Lara! We're praying as much as ever for you all, and faithfully wearing our rosary bracelets, too!
That's so exciting about Honey, though...Yay for wet, snuggly puppy love! Sometimes there is no better medicine.
Tomorrow Greta and I are getting our 10" chopped for Locks of Love. It seems to be turning into an annual event for Greta, and she got me motivated to join in!
We love you guys!

Shelley

Anonymous said...

Good morning!

Honey is darling...she will fill your hearts with joy during this time of question.

I love you...hugs and kisses to all!

Aunt Susy

Anonymous said...

Lara
Just letting you know that we are thinking of you guys today and that what they are seeing is not NB. I will check in on you guys later

Tracy

Kim Tyler said...

How wonderful that you have a puppy to love you all through this difficult time. You are wise parents to recognize that the unconditional love that she has to give will provide healing for all of you in some way. I am so sorry to be reading about the newest scare. As a cancer survivor myself, I know that each time there is a scare it is always fresh and terrifying. Let's hope and pray that this will be a false alarm and that Hans' health continues to improve and his body strengthen. Meanwhile, much love to all of you.

Anonymous said...

Lara,

It was so good to talk to you last night. I can't get over how strong you are. Hans and your family are in our prayers daily. Thank you again for your kindness and for the beautiful rosary bracelet that you and Elle made for Luke--we will treasure it always! God bless you guys!