About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Friday, February 15, 2008

Answered Prayers

Hi All,

I think my eyes are going to fill with tears as I type this, but after a rough couple of days and some question marks yesterday at our office visit, we finally got the news "all clear" on the scans. Yesterday we hadn't gotten the full story - there was a (large) area that was lighting up on the MIBG that shouldn't have. The radiologist looked at it today and we got news about 12:30 that all is good/clear. The area must have just been bowel... By the way, his GFR (kidney test) came out better, in the normal range, and the Echo was normal as well.

So, Hans will start back up on Accutane tomorrow. I'll probably keep him somewhat of a homebody during this time, as it can be so harsh on him. We hope to have him finish out the three remaining months, incident-free.

I have to tell you that the Bake Sale was truly outstanding. We raised over $1,700 for Neuroblastoma Research! Can you believe that? Have you ever heard of such a thing? So, now we're scheming up a couple of other great bake sale ideas and I'm sure the many talented and generous bakers we know will try to out-do themselves for the next one.

Thank you for all your baking, buying, hard work and support. But, most importantly, thanks for any prayers you've said for Hans, and for Carlie and for all the other kiddos we love.

Lara

5 comments:

Kim Tyler said...

Dear Lara,
You've got me in tears now. I'm so happy to hear this news. I think about you and Hans every day, and pray always that you have seen the last of his cancer. So enjoy the lightness of this moment, the joy of having a breather, and the pleasure of having a healthy little boy to love!
Love,
Kim

Claire Rider said...

Hello!
I am sooo happy to hear the "all clear news!" I have been thinking and praying for Hans so much over the last weeks during scans. I hope all is smooth during the last of the Accutane.
Love, Claire

Kari said...

Congrats on the great news!! I know all too well the anxiety of awaiting important test results. A while back Riley and I were at TCH for Riley's echo appointment, and we passed you and Hans by the elevators...I was so nervous about the upcoming appt that it took me a minute to realize it was you. I am still kicking myself for not introducing myself, hopefully we will pass again in the halls. We pray for you guys daily, and good luck with everything!!

Kari Mika
rileyelizabethmika.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

There is no better words than All Clear. Hugs and prayers. Carolyn Wing/Angel_Wings grandma to Laura Stage IV neuroblastoma carepage LauraVDB

Anonymous said...

I am extremely excited to hear that the scans eventually came out great. It so great to hear that Hans is doing so well and being such a brave guy! Just wanted to say hi and for you all to know we think of you all, all the time.

Much love-Madison and Kerry