About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Monday, August 27, 2007

First Day of Third Grade!

Elle was off to the First Day of Third Grade Today! I think it's going to be a great year for her. All I've heard are glowing remarks about her teacher, Mrs. Foster. She'll have a switch teacher too, she'll go across the hall for Language Arts. So big! We hope to ride bikes with her to school on MWF and she'll be a bus rider on T/Th. (This will give Hans and I a little more time to get home from the clinic, if we have an appointment on one of those days.) She's ready and she's happy to have some familiar faces in her class this year. Soccer for her starts on Friday. I think we're all excited. I'm such a soccer mom...
Hans is doing well here. He seems to be regaining a bit of energy and appetite and he is sleeping better, thankfully! He used his "low sodium" to convince us, and a handful of friends, to take him to Johnny Rockets on Saturday, he needed fries! That was fun. We'll see how his counts are on Thursday. Kevin and I decided to keep him at home this Fall, rather than send him off to Pre K. It was tough to come to that decision for me, especially with how much we adored Little Saints, but now I'm 100% cool with it. It's going to be kind of fun - just me and Hans. I asked Katie and Denise at Little Saints to let us know if there's a spot in Pre K in January, but I'm not sure I'll even be ready then to send him off to school. We just want to feel totally comfortable with reading his Hypoglycemia before we really let him out of our sight.
Thanks for all your prayers and support this past year. What a year!
Lara

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi elle did you have a fun day?
I miss you.

love greta

Elle! You look so beautiful, and so grown up.
Lara, I think Hans and you are both very lucky to get to spend so much time together. He has an entire life of school ahead of him, so it is great that you get to take this time with him now.
We love you guys!
Shelley and family

Kim Tyler said...

How fabulous to be having some simple family time, doing normal things like going to school and riding bikes! I'm very happy for you. Elle looks terrific, so grown up and elegant! Hope she has a great school year with her new class.
Love
Kim