About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Friday, February 16, 2007

Thursday's trip to the clinic

Hi,
Thursday's clinic visit went great! Hans' platelet and red blood cell count were both up high enough for him not to need a transfusion. Kevin and I were able to attend the parent meeting while Roxie and Hans hung out in the waiting area. Since we didn't need a transfusion we were home by 2:30 PM this time:)

We also met with the Radiologists at Methodist Hospital about Hans' radiation treatment. We learned that Hans will receive 12 radiation treatments starting 2 weeks from now. The treatments will only last about 5 minutes, but he'll have to hold very still so they will sedate him. This will mean early morning commutes through heavy traffic with a hungry boy, but at least the treatments are quick.

We're having fun with Roxie. Hans is still dancing "The Bear" and is eating around the clock, trying to catch up.

More later. Have a fun three day weekend.

Lara

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Valentines - did you two get your stuff in the mail? It's so good to hear good news.
La- your mom sent me the infor on her flight, so now I'll make mine!
Love to all - pl

Sheila said...

I used to work for Playtime For Kids when Hans would visit on occassion. He is an amazing little person. I cried the day I walked in and saw a flyer taped to our door about the benefit run. I am glad to hear he is doing so well. I have been checking this page almost daily since I stumbled upon it about a month or so ago. Please give him a big hug for me. He made a big impression on me in such a short time.

Sheila Taylor

Anonymous said...

It was great to see Lara and Elle (and to meet Roxie) today at the mall. Lara, you are an amazing mom and I am so impressed with your strength and courage. I am so glad that we shared a room at Little Saints for a short time and that I got to know you! You guys take care and I am so happy that Hans is feeling better!

Bernie

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't forget the little buggers count as a second person so you can use the HOV lane in the mornings! Saves a bunch of time and much less headache than sitting in the traffic. Sorry I missed you girls last night!
Kelly