About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

What a Great Run for Hans, Thanks to The Woodlands!

I had an incredible time at the Run for Hans today. When we first pulled up to the Race I couldn't believe that there wasn't a place to park! It was totally inspiring to see how many turned out to support Hans' Journey back to health! Thank you!

I have to send the biggest thank you out to Beth Whitehead for putting on this race. How awesome is she? I think her life has been totally turned upside down the past three weeks. She's pretty amazing - and I just met her 4 months ago! I'm glad you sort of get your life back now, Beth. Luke's Locker - you guys are awesome too!

Thanks, also, to Katie and Denise and all the Little Saints staff. It seemed like every teacher was there to give me a big hug. You guys are awesome too! It was nice to see tons of parents and students from there too. It was really neat to meet everyone who had just heard about Hans from a friend or a relative and have been thinking about him.

Thanks to Carmen, Ginger, Marlene, Kelly, Stacey, and Anne and all the mammas from the playgroup for all their volunteer work. Our hearts are really full with gratitude.

I have to echo Ginger in thanking all the restuarants for their contributions - Chick-fil-A, It's a Grind, Shipley's Donuts, Brooklyn's Bagels and Panera bread (Elle's Favorite).

Elle and I were touched that Mrs. Castro and Mrs. Horn (Elle's Teachers) and Mrs. Parker (Elle's teacher from last year) and both her daughters were there! It was great to have our neighbors out there, and Scott taking pictures! And all the Glen Loch (Elle's school) families that came out - and then just good friends to walk with like Anne and Kira, Wendy, Shane, Sidney, and Marianne and Erin. I must say I'm proud of my Girl Scout Troop, 11251, for FINISHING the 5K walk. Way to go girls!!!

What's also incredible is that the great majority of runners and walkers were strangers to me this morning - so that's why I say thanks to The Woodlands and neighboring communities for really stepping up to help out.

Just a few more thank you's - my Mom's friend Pat Kioke of Seattle, WA and my great uncle Dougie Daniels of Goldendale, WA donated frequent flyer miles for sending my mom, Stephanie Cady, down to Texas.

Also -thanks to Kev's aunt and uncle Mark and Debbie Siefertson for the money for the laptop (I was going crazy waiting in line for the hospital computers and there are only two up there!) Also, Kevin's aunt Holly Susterich for flying Elle home for Christmas. And of course, thanks to Kev's mom, Kathy Jurgens, for coming down to visit multiple times - same as my mom! And geez - our Realtor - Sheri Winter Glass of ReMax - just dropped off a very generous donation after reading about us in the paper, thanks, Sheri!

Okay - I hope I haven't left out too many - for now - but I need to give you an update on Hans. He is doing really well at home! He's eating more and moving around more and thanks to a technical difficulty he's not on his TPN until monday (that means no IV at home - which is okay since he is eating and drinking more). He is funny and happy and silly. He is losing a lot of hair, but it doesn't seem to be bothering him too much. I was worried about that since his hair has always been a Big part of his whole identity. That's how people know him. We'll just have to see how it comes back in.
More later...
With Love,
Lara

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lara told me about the wonderful turn out and support for Hans' Run today. I was so touched by way everyone in the Woodlands and beyond has gone out of their way to help. It means so much to the family.
Thank you all!
Stephanie Cady
Lara's mom

Anonymous said...

thank you for coming to the race.my mom says, "who won the race?" so if anyone knows let my mom know.

Elle!

Carmen said...

You know Lara you don't have to thank us - we know you, Kev, and fam appreciate everything your friends, family and community is doing for y'all. Especially me since I consider you the sister I never got to have. Elle, check http://www.runningintheusa.com/06/tx1111.htm if you really want to know the winner. But your 'a winner' in my eyes! Love and God Bless, Carm PS-HI Stephanie-got footage of the big event, will send your way soon...

K said...

So glad to hear Hans is doing well at home. We had great fun yesterday. We will continue to keep you all in our daily prayers.

WalkSports.com said...

Elle,

The overall winner was Bret Ramsey of Richmond, Texas. The winning female runner was Colleen Waymel.

I'll have a complete write-up in a few days. My wife and daughter are still working on trying to ensure that we have the most accurate results.

For the first time in the 7-year history of the twice-a-month 5K, we had over 100 runners twice in 2006 including 175 on August 12th.

Therefore, the 394 runners (not counting approximately 200 walkers) is a record that may never be broken at that venue.

I compile the results, do the race write-up and help Luke's with the event and I was just overwhelmed when I received a call from my wife at 6:15 a.m. Pacific time in Vancouver to say how many runners there were.

I wish I would have been able to be there to help out and experience the outpouring of support for the Weberling family.

Thanks for allowing me to play a small part in the overall effort.

Pictures are online at http://runthewoodlands.smugmug.com/.

Jon Walk

debi said...

As Kevin and Lara's family, we thank the community for all the tremondous support and prayers you have for this family, you are all awesome and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts! Please continue the support and prayers.