About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Thursday, August 09, 2012

National Children's Cancer Society Needs our Help

Hi Again, I decided to do something I don't usually do! I have mentioned before that we have benefited from a special organization called the National Children's Cancer Society.  They sent us to Philly many times.  They'd pick up our airfare when we didn't have our airline miles.  This was an amazing, liberating gift!  We were able to give our boy the best of care, without having to break the bank, or without having to look into his big, sea green eyes and say, "We can't get you there."  How do you thank someone for that gift?  I don't think you can.  But, what you can do is step up to the plate when they need you!

  I guess there has been a drop in funding and the NCCS needs donations in order to keep doing what they do best - getting kids to clinics and hospitals and taking care of families going through treatment.  This is right up there with the gift of life, in my eyes. Because, if the kid can't get to the hospital, they aren't getting treated.

I wanted to share this link with you. Hans' NCCS fundraising page If you are so inclined, please consider making a donation. If you are not so inclined, that's okay too. I'm a big believer that we should do what we are moved to do. But, on the flip side of that, I believe that when we are moved to do something, we should actually do it! Even if it's a tiny thing. I came across this Edward Abby quote in a forward of the book I'm reading, "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." That's pretty heavy! But, I think it's neat that action can have a small price tag - $5, even.

I will warn you that another fundraising drive is in the works for the Fall. As I always do, I plan to help drum up research funds for the CNCF at Hans' 6th anniversary of diagnosis, this coming October. Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions.

No comments: