About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Tuesday, February 08, 2011

39 Nights 'til Spring

Hans loves a good countdown and the countdown is on 'til Spring. 39 nights to go, as of today. It's been colder than normal here, so we've been spending more time than usual inside. He's ready to go for more bike rides, get back into the pools and plant a lot of flowers.

Hans had OKAY labs yesterday. HGB 8.7, plts dropped to 73 and ANC is still crazy high at about 12,000! I'm awaiting word to see if he will need to go back in for another lab draw before we go to Philly NEXT WEEK! These trips sure come up quickly...

Hans and Kevin went out for chilly horseback riding last night. It's cool that Kevin got to see it. I guess they played Simon Says on horseback.

I am about to go make some insurance calls. For some reason (just a paperwork mishap, I'm sure), Hans' last Neulasta injection was denied by our new Insurance Carrier. Even though this is actually our 6th 'benefit year' since diagnosis and I've seen A LOT of bills and benefits statements, my eyes still bulge when I see some charges. Would you believe that one shot of Neulasta is billed at $18,000? I'm pretty confident I'll make sure Insurance picks up the tab on that one!

BAKE SALE UPDATE!!! Our 4th Annual Valentines Day Bake Sale for the Children's Neuroblastoma Cancer Foundation will be held at TCH this Friday, Feb 11th! I'd like to thank the other NB families and our network of friends, neighbors, and CLASSMATES that have helped make each sale special. This year, Mrs. Parker and Hans' class are helping out! They are making us a gorgeous new "Bake Sale" banner! I can't wait to see it and use it! I love the bake sale fundraiser, since our bakers donate their goods, there is zero overhead and 100% of proceeds go to the CNCF. At this sale we'll surpass the $20,0o0 mark. That's a lotta LOVE!

Thanks,
Lara

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yea to riding! I'm sure the guys had fun.

I'm with Hans on counting down to spring. We are a brisk 25 degrees this morning! Too cold for me.

Luv
G.Kathy & G.Dale