About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Sunday, January 03, 2010

Platelets Needed!

No, not for Hans, no worries, but I have noticed on a couple of other blogs I follow
that hospitals are in dire need of platelets. Some are having to ship them into Louisiana and Arkansas across state lines.

I wanted to hop up on my soap box here and ask you guys to get out there and donate -if you can, if you can handle it. This is a beautiful thing to do. There is only ONE way our cancer kiddos and so many others can get these life-saving products - when nice people like you roll up your sleeve.

Thank you - I am quite sure Hans has had dozens and dozens of transfusions. To us, that means donors have saved his life dozens and dozens of times over. I can't imagine if the products hadn't been available.

Full disclosure: I am wimping out on donating blood these days. The last time I did it I felt pretty bad for about 2 weeks - and the time before that, I fainted at a neighbor's house while helping Elle sell girl scout cookies! It's not for everybody -but if it's easy for you to do it, thank you. Maybe you could even set yourself up with a can-do resolution. Give blood four times this year!?! http://www.giveblood.org/

Sorry - I couldn't help but post this after I heard of two different kids sitting in hospitals waiting for platelets to get to them. That just doesn't make sense...

Lara

1 comment:

The Adkins Family said...

I thought about you guys the other day and just about stopped at a mobile unit in the Kroger parking lot. I'm not quite sure I can donate pregnant, but certainly afterwards!