About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Monday, November 09, 2009

Weekend Update

For the first time in a while I have the luxury of giving you more of a normal update than a medical update. We are now on Day 4 of our oral chemo, and it seems to be going along pretty well. So far Hans is just a little bit moodier than usual, but not really too bad.

I've got both kids home today! Elle had a big start to the weekend. We had a fun mommy/daughter shopping spree on Friday night to get a handful of random things we needed. Then, Saturday am she and I set off to Athena's for the CNCF garage sale. It was on a smaller scale this Fall - I didn't even notify too many of my pals that it was coming up. So, we did $500. Not a record, but not too shabby...it's all for the good cause of funding research on NB. Then, in the afternoon we had a nail-biter of a game. Elle played Goalie the whole first half. Our defenders had to work way too hard and she didn't let one goal in! I was amazed by her. For some reason I just can't get over her being such a strong goalie! We held off this strong team, but lost by one, by a very unfortunate, accidental, own-goal on a penalty kick:( Then, by the time we got home from the game Saturday - she was DONE! She has some cold or something. She didn't really move from the couch all day Sunday. I hope it's not a flu. She's starting to look better, but we figured we'd keep her home from school today, and home from soccer tomorrow and she might be back to normal???

Kevin and I were able to get a couple of little house/yard projects done, which always feels like such a luxury after operating on 'hospital mode' for a while. Since Hans' arm is doing better - we are starting to let him resume a few of his normal activities. We just feel we can't let him ride his bike. A fall could really break it. Dr. Russell has explained to us that if he fractures it in the condition it's in, it may never heal. I guess they can't pin it the way it is. That's why it was so scary to go ahead with the open biopsy... there was a significant risk of fracture. We thought - if we aren't supposed to let him break it, we shouldn't let the surgeon break it either...

We are going to wait and see about school next week. We want to observe his arm while he's finishing this round of chemo and debate the school issue next week. School is so fabulous for him, and he loves it once he is up there. But, ever since diagnosis, he is pretty content to hang out at home! I don't think he's too troubled by the missed days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh...Miss Elle...feel MUCH better SOON!
So, glad Hans' treatment is not creating severe issues...and that his arm is feeling better!
It is good to know everyone is more relaxed!
One day at a time...Love and hugs,
Aunt Susy