About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Monday, July 06, 2009

Echo is somehow 'normal'!?!

So, today has been a strange day for news. I'd have titled this post ups and downs, but I didn't want to freak anyone out. We went in for the Echo Cardiogram early this morning. Hans did great. Most of the time he is a really great sport about his treatments and scans! It doesn't hurt that children's hospitals are so well equipped. He watched Imagination Movers the whole time. I was more chatty than usual with the technician, and wound up telling him the whole story of Hans' last few echos. He was very nice, and then he told me that the shortening fraction was pretty much the same as the last echo. Ugh. So, I was a little bummin' today. We had to get Elle directly to an appointment in The Woodlands by 10:20 am, and then, I was wiped out by the time we got home. We just took it easy around here, and I sort of tried to make sense of the news...And then, I got a voice mail, at about 4:30pm that the caridiologist had reviewed Hans echo and the results are normal!?!

So, I haven't had a chance to speak to anyone about this yet. We don't know what it means. If his shortening fraction is still low, how can that be normal? Is it just normal for Hans? Or, is it explained by something else? We don't know yet if/when we'll go back on the ABT 751. But, I hope to get more info soon! I am just a little confused. But, I'm left wondering if maybe my gut instinct to think of it as a non-issue was right on the money???

I perked up a little bit after getting the voice mail. We hit another pool after dinner. We now have 8 down and 5 to go on our mission of 13 pools in 14 days.
It's not the most noble mission, but it has been a good way to pack in some serious pool time in our two bonus weeks off chemo!

Lara

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the pool mission is a very noble mission of FUN - which you all deserve!! We'll keep praying for 'non-issues' for Hansie and a target date to restart his treatment.

Elle and Hans look so cute and happy in their photos! Looks like Elle is enjoying being a twirler!

Love and Hugs,
G. Kathy & G. Dale XOXO

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,
Gosh, I have been thinking about Hans and his echo. I hope soon you will get some great news that will clear all the questions up! So glad you guys are having fun at the pools. Wow, fun mission!!
claire