About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Monday, June 29, 2009

Some Pics


All of us out for dinner at Tom Sawyer's (basically a pub) but Hans can do bar food! It was so nice to be able to eat outside!


They have a great system for identifying what rides the kids can ride at Hersheypark by height. Elle was a Twizzler


Hans was a Hershey Kiss (Kev and I were Jolly Ranchers)


Hans and some Canadian Geese on the Susquehanna at Downtown Harrisburg

The highlight of our trip to PA was just touring through the pretty countryside! We really enjoyed driving through the farmland in the much cooler 80-something-degree temperatures. It was exciting to see some families traveling on Horse and Buggy. We say many signs for Mennonite Churches, so we figured we were in Mennonite country. I think we passed at least 8 families on horse and buggies. It was cool! We also passed some crazy bicycle contraption that carried about 10 ladies, that Kevin and I couldn't figure out. We also enjoyed Harrisburg, the capital city, right on the river. It was so pleasant outside, you had to love it.

We had fun at Hersheypark (like a Disneyland), but it is a little crazy when your kids are such different ages and at different stamina levels. It was fun - but intense! I think Elle and I should have gone as the park opened, and had Kevin and Hans join us for the last 4 hours...

We didn't have much time to explore Philly, it was pretty much all business by the time we got there. It was awesome that we got a room at the RMH this time. The social worker called it a miracle, that a family had just checked out! We were taken care of from the moment we checked in. Hans was thrilled b/c McDonald's donated Tuesday night's dinner in the house, and then a magician, Mattcadabra, entertained a handful of us. Hans was at the perfect age to be mystified by his tricks.

We picked Elle back up from Austin yesterday and are up to our regular summer activities... a little swimming, hopefully a little beading, a few playdates and sleepovers, etc. Hans is looking good and doing well! I have to call to see if they have his echo lined up yet.

Thanks for checking up on us.

Lara

1 comment:

Vickie said...

I'm glad you are getting back to the beading. I'm about to have zero inventory. My sister-in-law called from Sacramento last night and wants me to send my entire stock out to her. She thinks she has pre-sold as much as I send. I'm not going to pass up and opportunity to raise money, so we will just have to work harder to get more done by CNCF conference and Mo Ranch Arts conference (My friend Elaine got donations for all but one I sent there last week for the Music Conference). I still need inventory for the start of the school year.

What, oh what, have you gotten me into?

VB