About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Brrrrr

Hi guys -
First off, we must say thank you to those of you who have supported Elle's cookie drive. She herself has received orders for more than 100 boxes of cookies for the Houston Ronald McDonald House. It'll be fun to see what the whole troop comes up with.

We are up here in Philadelphia. Let me say it's cold!!! Brrrr.... It must be in the 20's, but I didn't check that today. We got up here on Saturday (by having a Sat nite stay over we use A LOT less miles) and stayed at the Sheraton one night and then yesterday moved into the RMH. The trip up went fine. We just think we didn't quite manage to get quite enough calories in Hans on Saturday - so he was a little wiped out on Sunday. So we haven't been too adventurous here in the cold, on foot, but the RMH does have nice meals to offer, and I found their treadmill and even brought my new sheet music for one of their pianos. It's kind of fun, I ordered "easy Beatles" for piano. I'm trying to retrain my brain! (I took lessons in I think 4th, 5th and 6th grades???) I have been learning "Let It Be". I'm the opposite of Kev - he can just pick up a guitar and figure it out. I have to systematically plug away in black and white.

We are exploring the local eateries - keeping Hans in calories with a nearby McDonald's and Papa John's - while Kevin and I are enjoying Thai Food and looking forward to an Indian Buffet! (Kevin also really digs the cheesesteaks.) We also found a great 'old school' video store/comic book shop. We checked out the entire Indiana Jones series. Hans has never seen them, so it's keeping us entertained. We also got Hans a new Transformers Comic Book, since Uncle Tom had turned him onto them. The store was definitely a good find.

We just had to quickly pop into CHOP today - the CT is tomorrow as well as the MIBG Injection, and then the MIBG is Wednesday morning followed by 'the news' and a meeting with Dr. Maris. So far I have been calm. But, we shall see what the future holds. Meanwhile, I'm praying big prayers, not only for Hans, but for Erin and Patrick and Michael at TCH. As well as all of the other children still fighting, and I'll never forget those that we have lost. Thanks to all of you who include Hans and these kids in your thoughts and prayers.

Will post with more news as I am able...

Love, Lara

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update! Sounds pretty chilly! Nice time for games, comic books, and music!

I will call Elle for cookie info and forward $ for donations to RMH! What a fabulous plan!

My prayers and love are for Hans and all of the little children...Love and hugs, Aunt Susy

Vickie said...

Thanks for the newsy update. I hope everything is perfect for you when you see Maris. Erin definitely had an up day today, so that's good.

VB

Anonymous said...

Hi guys it is getting rally cold here thank goodness not as cold :) Sounds like yall are having fun good luck today and tomarrow we are sending big prayers up. See you in Feb at the bake sale

Unknown said...

I think I thought you guys weren't scanning until Thursday, like us. Hope all is going well, and scans are easy peasy for Hans. Praying for beautiful scans.. We'll let you know what John looks like when we talk to Dr Russell. Take care in Philly!!

Sarah Thweatt