About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Hello from Scottsdale

What a week...
We're now safe and dry in Scottsdale. We are framing it as an early spring break. We get to hang out with KK, and Debi and Mark, and the boxers Harley and baby Gabby and the cat J2. Our house has some sturctural damage - but it's habitable. I have to confess - if you live on our block or in The Woodlands - I was wishing this would have happened to you, not us! But now I realize that a handful of our friends and neighbors do have trees on their houses as well! So, we'll all deal with it. I was pretty much a disaster on Saturday morning, but now we're just adding it to the list. My mom was able to contact the insurance and they gave us a five day estimate for getting to our house. Thanks to Mark and Debi who flew us outta there to get away from the storm. Kevin and I were a little worried about how Hans would fare for an extended period of time w/o power. He's fine though, he did okay. But now he's beside himself to be on vacation!

The 'real' problem we are facing is the Neuroblastoma. As soon as I was able to get online this morning, I learned that we lost Chloe Parker this week. We were in the room next door to her on Thursday/Friday on the 9th floor. Her NB progressed and took over organ function in the previous 2 days. We are so sorry for her family. She was a strong willed and incredible little girl! Thanks for any prayers you can offer for her family at this terrible time.

Lara

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Lara. My heart and prayer go out to little Chloe's family and friends.

I am so pleased the 3 of you have arrived safely in Scottsdale! You need this time to rest and have your hearts lightened. Everyone there, I know, is delighted to have you there!

Love to Kevin in The Woodlands...be safe!

Love and hugs to all,
Aunt Susy

Anonymous said...

Hi Hans,
This is Mrs. Nusbaum. I am so glad you and your family are all safe! Phoenix is a great place to be right now- I think most of us here are still without power. I have been going to work with Mr. Nusbaum downtown so I was able to check your blog. Enjoy your vacation. ;) Can't wait to see you back at Glen Loch.

Kerri Schaefer said...

LGad you are safe and dry and cool. We are sorry to storm caused problems for you guys. We are praying for the Parker family and will give hugs when we see them for you all. Keep Hans storng and fighting! We love you and sre PRAYING!!! If we can do ANTYHING...we are strong and can remove trees with the best of them...let us know!

Kerri

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it to what Kathy and I refer to as "The Siefertson Spa". Relax and have a great time. I'm sure all of the Scottsdale family is very happy to have you all there. Too bad Kevin has to stay and deal with a mess.
So sorry to hear about Chloe. Prayers to all of these children and their families.
Love Aunt Holly and Uncle Michael

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine what your thougts were through all of it. I am so happy that you had a place that you could get to so Han's could get the necessary treatment/tests that he needs. Keep the faith and remember that my prayers go with you where ever you are.
My heart and prayers go out to little Chloe's family.
Keep posting as often as you can.

Kathy German

Anonymous said...

Think of this as Hans' Make-A-Wish trip that you weren't able to take! I always wish to go to Mark and Debi's!

Have fun,
Love G. Kathy, G. Dale
XOXO

Anonymous said...

We are glad you are all safe and sound and resting in Arizona. I am so sorry that the storm effected you, but overall glad your safe and moving forward from it.
Good to know Hans is doing well with all that is going on! I hope Kevin can work it out in the woodlands so you can come back quick.
Kiss Hans and Elle
Were thinking about you all
Kerry and Madison and Sean