About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

'First Day' Stuff


Yesterday was certainly a full day! I got Elle off to school, and we finally met her teacher since the poor thing had to miss her Meet the Teacher time slot due to the fact that we were late getting platelets on Thursday afternoon. I was happy to drop her off and get her going. And then... I don't know - I think it must all hit you as the mother of a child with special needs on these big Milestone Occasions. I still have every single hope and dream for Hans that I have ever had. It takes a while for your dreams to adjust. It was not the 'first day of Kindergarten' that a mommy envisions for her boy. I feel badly for Hans that he wasn't there on the first day, that he will miss so much school, and I am really just generally nervous about being ready to turn him over to a school at all. But I know that he needs and deserves to have more in his life than his treatment and his homelife. His Adrenal Insufficiency and Hypoglycemia make him a tricky kid to look out for. So, I just hope that we're doing a good enough job of explaining Hans' special needs to the school, and I do believe that they are going to do everything they can to meet the doctor's specific recommendations for him.
As I pulled away from the school I couldn't help but think of all the angel moms and their struggles with not having their little one to drop off today. I was thinking of you all throughout the whole day with much love and compassion.

So, the morning was emotional for me. And then - off to the clinic - for an eventful day for Hans. Here's a breakdown:

We showed up for counts at our 1 pm appt.

3pm found out we needed blood and platelets

4pm found out we'd be getting them at 'Short Stay'

5:30pm got transferred to 6 North-Short Stay in Abercrombie Bldg.

7:30pm Platelets finally Hooked up

9:30pm Blood hooked up

2:30am Discharged - home at 3:30 - crazy huh? The good news was that Hans' ANC was now over 8,000!

I guess I need to work on a comment card. That's certainly a system that could be streamlined. I am sure you would believe that Hans did not issue one complaint across these 13 hours. He only requested that we go to the food court once, and then, later, to McDonald's. He is such a very sweet kid. I got to take a good snooze with him in his hospital bed before driving home. And, at least, for him, the Benadryl they used as a pre-med for blood products knocked him out at 7pm.

Thankfully Michelle and family took care of Elle until Kevin got home from a late meeting. It was so awesome of you guys to pick her up her favorite eats - sushi and salmon! And thank you so much for snapping the first day of school photo that I didn't get.

Lara
ps - We had a really fun time with Mark, Debi and KK. The guys played a lot of Wii and watched some sports. Us girls were busy - we beaded 11 lanyards for the sale! It was fun and they look really good. We were grateful to have some good old fashioned family time. We took a chance and hit Hans' favorite dinner spots - Chili's and Double Dave's. Thanks Mark, Debi and KK for coming to see us! The girls had a fun sleepover:) Can you believe Hans' Hemoglobin was almost a full point below the transfusion parameter with how well he was doing this weekend?
pps - I KNOW I owe pictures of Hans and of our trip - I am working on it... I just need to put in a tech support request for Kev to check out my laptop...

6 comments:

Our Family said...

Lara,
I know what you mean about the milestones. Even though he is an angel, I still think about Luke's milestones and what we won't get to see him do. Don't worry, Hans will meet his milestones and he will be successful--he is an amazing kid and an amazing fighter. God bless you guys and tell Elle she looked beautiful yesterday!

Bernie
www.lukeslegacy.blogspot.com

Vickie said...

Is that a glass of wine that Elle is enjoying before her first day of school?

VB

Anonymous said...

Elle looked beautiful for her first day back! Love the straightened hair - very sophisticated.

Like Michael said when we got to visit in Ellensburg - Hans seems very happy and seems to know his limits. He'll have all of his "firsts" on his own schedule and they'll be great fun for him.

Stay strong - you and Kevin are doing an awesome job! And, lots of love and prayers to keep you all strong.

Love, Aunt Holly and Uncle Michael

debi said...

Elle looks beautiful! Love her hair.......I looks like style by KK? Wish we lived closer so that we could do this all the time. We LOVED the time we spent with all of you. I loved making the lanyards........even tho it took me awhile to sort out all the beads! The quality of the time was what was important!
I was also so thrilled to see that Hans had so much energy and looked so awesome! I hope we did not wear him out too much and we ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE we spent with ALL of you! LOVE THAT FAMILY TIME.........IT'S THE BEST!!!

Blair said...

Beautiful! Just a thought--if you ever want to team up with our Bread of Life homeschool group here when he's not able to attend school, Hans is welcome to come to any of our events! We usually have activities once or twice a week. We'll be starting PE, we have nature lessons at the park (tomorrow afternoon at Falconwing is an Indian lesson), there's a little boys' group, etc. Kelly can give you the scoop if you're interested! Continued prayers for your family, and especially for Hans as he starts school!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Elle...you are a bright, lovely sight to behold! Lucky is the teacher who has YOU in her class!

So pleased Hans has been able to greet each new day with cheer...and that he has handled all new challenges with ease!

His teachers will watch him well...as well as his classmates and new acquaintances! New adventures are in store!

It is, indeed, an emotional time...rightly so! With each new class of students I always remember that third grade year Erin came into Raton for school amidst our successful home schooling adventures. It is ironic that I teach at this same school, and I do not forget for one moment that I spend more waking hours with others' little loved ones than they do themselves during our school day. I know Hans will be treasured and watched over by angels near and far!

Good to hear the family visit was so much fun!

Love and hugs to all,
Aunt Susy