About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Post from Hans' Uncle Tom

Dear Family and Friends,
I am Hans' Uncle, Tom. I was struck by the news of Hans' diagnosis with Neuroblastoma Cancer in 10-06. At first I felt disbelief that this could happen to my nephew because nothing like this has ever happened in our family before. I was aware of the existence of cancer in young children, but not personally. I didn't know the extent of the different types or the specific effects of cancer. I was aware that Cancer affected many different people in different forms, but I did not know much else about it. This all changed when I found out about Hans' diagnosis. I feel the situation of Hans' condition is a terrible tragedy for a bright, happy, innocent and loving child. The weight his young body has had to bear has been heavy for sure, but he has handled it with courage and strength. He has endured surgeries, chemotherapy, radiation, and a strict medication regimen. Now he is starting a new stage of treatment because the cancer has reappeared in his body. This is a very difficult thing to deal with for his mom, Lara, and dad, Kevin, but they have proved to be resilient and strong, and they continue to support and care for Hans the best they possibly can. They will be seeing him through this first round of treatment from May 14 through June 4. Hans has gone through 5 days of inpatient chemotherapy, with 7 days of concurrent radiation, which continues after he leaves the hospital. He then has off treatment until June 5th, when he will go in for his second Round of inpatient chemo. I am confident that Hans will endure this treatment and come out healthy with no more cancer in his body. I ask that all people who read this pray for Hans' recovery. Through all this time Hans has persevered and is determined to get better, and to "get that [cancer] out of there" as he says. He wants to get better and live the life of a normal kid. I look forward to seeing Hans start school next year and go on to progress in his health until he can go on to graduate from school and be what he wants to be in life. Hans shows much spirit and it is an inspiration to me personally.
The Make-a-Wish Foundation was able to get a nice new "big toy" for his backyard that he likes to play on with his sister, Elle. I couldn't be prouder of Hans as an Uncle and of his mom, dad, and sister for their outstanding support of Hans. I would like to send my gratitude out to the kind individuals and organizations that contribute their time, money, and prayers to helping those affected by these diseases. As a result of their kindness, people like my nephew Hans are being helped with treatments and cures. I hope for cures in these diseases and believe it is possible for all people affected by them to get the help they so much are in need of. The help of people who contribute to the cause of fighting cancer reflects positively on the hope of family members such as myself. I thank you and hope you all will pray with me for a cure for cancers and Hans' cure.
Hans' Uncle, Tom

We say - Thanks for the kind words, Bro - Love, Lara, Kevin, Elle and Hans xoxo

6 comments:

Hans' Mom said...

Tommy-
Thanks brother! We love you and appreciate all of your kind words and praise for our little boy/your nephew. Hans is a reality check/life lesson for all of us. Our lives are not hard. His life is hard and yet he is happy and fine, no matter what life throws his way.

Love Kevin

Anonymous said...

HI

I am so glad that yall made it out and that yall are at home. I hope that yall can relax andenjoys being their until next round:) The letter from your bother was awesome you are very lucky. Hope to see yall soon give Hans a hug for me.
Tracy Ash

Anonymous said...

Hans' Uncle (& Kevin & Lara),
The stories of life and the living of those lives are great lessons for us all, for sure. Our faith, appreciation for what we have, Love of one another, the various ways we cope, the steps we take to living the best life we can ALL come closest to the surface for me when I read your words, listen to you speak and watch you live.
Thank you all for sharing your stories and for being a positive example of life out there for us all to learn from.
Sending out Love and Prayers to all those affected by the tribulations of cancer and in particular you, brave Hans. Love you sweet, sweet angel.

Love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I am praying for Hans constantly...my little girl is a Neuroblastoma survivor so we have travelled this road. You are not alone... if you ever need someone to talk to I am here for you.
My email is tsswade@aol.com

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story, right from your heart, Uncle Tom. Following Hans' recovery has truly been an inspiration for myself and my family. Hans is an amazing boy with an amazing family. We are praying for all of you. Love, Cindy

Anonymous said...

Tom,you have put into words how a lot of us feel about Han's and what the family has gone thru.What we take for granted every day,he has yet to get that luxury.We all hope and pray for him to have the opportunity to grow and experience the things that happen in everyday life.There is a tremendous amount of support for Han's and family.Thank You All! Dale/Kathy