About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Monday, March 10, 2008

More Good News!

Hi there,
Okay - just got the GREAT NEWS from Shari that Hans' biopsy was Negative for disease! Hooray! Thanks for keeping our little guy in your prayers.

Just a quick post/picture. We had a very busy weekend around here! A little dog appeared at our door on Friday night. She looked pretty bedraggled, so Kevin and the kids gave her a bath, and Hans named her Emo. We'll put up some signs and go get her scanned at the vet to see if we can help reunite her with her family. We sent Roxie off Saturday morning and Elle and I pulled three volunteer shifts this weekend! I worked my little shift at Elle's school carnival - the place was packed out and I'm sure they raised thousands and thousands of dollars for the PTO (we're hoping some of it will go for a fabulous playground). Kevin and Hans spent much of Saturday doggie-proofing our backyard and replacing several fence boards. It was pretty cute how Hans went and got his plastic hammer and had to be hammering right out there with Daddy. Then, on Sunday, we went to help set up for the Egg Hunt. The Mothers of Young Children playgroup sponsors it every year, so we had fun. It's amazing how thousands of eggs get scooped up in about 30 seconds! Cute Bunny picture above. When we got home there was a message for Elle to help out with a Girl Scout cookie sales booth from 6 - 8pm. So, she went and did that. I have to say congrats to Elle for hitting $1,000 in cookie sales this year! Thanks to everyone who bought from her this year. We plan to do the big cookie pass-out up on the 9th/8th floors next week. We're ready for spring break! It was kind of hard to wake up after Daylight Saving time - it was so dark out this morning!

That's all for now...

Lara

6 comments:

Kerri Schaefer said...

Love the bunny picture! Malachi so enjoyed the Easter Bunny last year at the hospital! I put our Spring Picture on his web page because you made me think of it!!! Glad to hear you are busy being normal! Congrats on NED! Malachi called Elmo, Melmo and when you said the dog was named Emo it made me smile! We are always praying for you guys! Love you!
Kerri
www.carepages.com
visit:buddhabelly

Anonymous said...

Oh wow the latest news is the best. Glad to hear the scan results are clear! I was just talking with Grandpa Bud last night and no one had told him Hans has hair again... so I printed off the pics w/ the easter bunny and the spray bottle and they are on their way to him. I know they will cheer his days much.

Much love
Erin

Anonymous said...

WHOO HOO!!! Clear scans are the BEST news!!!
The Easter photo reflects the new beginnings of Spring...Hans and Elle sparkle!

The books are on their way! Have fun!

I wish I could be there to help pass out cookies!

Great work, everyone!

Love and hugs,
Aunt Susy

Anonymous said...

WHOO HOO!!! Clear scans are the BEST news!!!
The Easter photo reflects the new beginnings of Spring...Hans and Elle sparkle!

The books are on their way! Have fun!

I wish I could be there to help pass out cookies!

Great work, everyone!

Love and hugs,
Aunt Susy

Anonymous said...

Lara, I am so glad for the GREAT news! I think my heart actually stops beating everytime I log onto this website! We pray for Hans daily and I am SO SO glad he is doing well! I love the picture, it is so nice to see him with those beautiful curls again! Hope you are well and I hope? maybe? to see you in July when running season starts. Take care of yourself and give those cute cute kids some kisses for me.

Beth

K said...

Lara,
I can't tell you how filled with joy I am today! I know we have never met, though we are in the same community and parish, but my prayers have been so strong for you, your family, Hans, and all of the other children you have introduced to me. It is so beautiful to see those beautiful curls back on that sweet little boy's head! May God continue to keep him healthy and happy! You are an inspiration to me and to many!!