About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!

Opening Stockings - Christmas morning.

Silly Elle posed for this picture she called - Death by Presents!

Hans and Grandma decorating Gingerbread House
Elle and Grandma with Gingerbread houses...

Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a fun time ringing in the new year last night. We did okay - we tried out a little party over at our friends', Carmen and Jim's. Hans had to go though right at the height of the evening. Oh well - at least we got out and had some fun! We were actually supposed to hit another party too at our neighbor's - but that proved to be a little much excitement for our little dude. He was out shortly after we got home. Elle and I watched Dick Clark ring in the New Year while Kevin made an appearance for us at the neighborhood party.

I have never been so ready to welcome a new year, and to kiss the past year goodbye! I appreciate the good things that came out of 2007, but I'm ready to start out '08. I am hoping to see Hans contiue to grow stronger and healthier each month. I am also praying for the other kids we've come to know at the Cancer Center - Chloe, Carlie, Patrick, Will, Ryan, Roman, Erin, Colby and all the others. Also - it's really special for us that each of you and so many have included Hans in your prayers these past months. We're also praying for you and your families. Here's to health and happiness. I'm also hoping for some really significant strides in Neuroblastoma Research! Thanks to you who have given a little, or a lot, to Hans' Lunch for Life Campaign. Together, we have placed 2399 ornaments on his tree just since late October - I'll let you know when we get the total from LFL, but that could be as much as $6,000 - $12,000 (depending on how many ornaments were doubled with the giving codes). "Wowie!"- my grandma Tynne would have said.

It has been a nice little relaxing break. My mom flew out yesterday and I know it's nice for her that she has two days off before school starts back up. We just did a little shopping - some eating, played a lot of Clue, did some Origami, and hung out. I keep thinking pretty soon we're going to be a scrambling two-sport family! Elle's basketball and soccer seasons will overlap a litle. We might even talk to Dr. Russell about signing Hans up for spring T-ball or soccer. We'll see what Papa Bear has to say about it too - it doesn't start for a while - we shall see!

I think I forgot to mention, but back on the December Office visit, Dr. Russell said she wanted to hold off on Accutane until at least January. We were talking about it - Hans did hit the ER five times during the three months he was on Accutane. I'm not sure what she'll do with him.


I'll keep you posted on Hans' counts if I get them back on Thursday. Let's hope that HGB works itself out! It'd be nice to see a normal "12.6" or something like that.

Happy New Year!

Lara

No comments: