About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Thursday

Hi there -
Well, we finally have some seasonal weather here! Yay! It's chilly in Texas - much better than record breaking heat of the past week. "Quick" post:

-Hans' counts are all in the normal range. His Potassium and Sodium are both on the low end of normal. (I'm a little puzzled by why that would be since he is still taking his Potassium tablet once a day and his potassium has been fine for months and months, but???)

- Hans still has some congestion and now we're bumping him back down to daily dose of steroids. We'll see how that goes and hope his nose clears up some how. He has really had no other symptoms...

- The parent meeting was kind of informative on insurance issues. I am still having recurring problems processing 8 - 10 of our claims from United Health Care. If I could tell you how many hours I spend on the phone. For some reason I don't handle this well and I get very upset. I think it's because I have so little control over the situation. I can't process the claims, I can't see the person face-to-face. But, "hopefully" my last two hour session on the phone last week did the trick and everything is being taken care of - that's all I want for Christmas!

- My mom is flying back down for Christmas and we have plans to do a little sightseeing trip to Dallas. We'll see how Hans is doing before we decide if we're going to go through with it or not!
We also have a wonderful babysitter (future oncologist Courtney Sweebe) lined up for Saturday night for a Holiday Party. This will be our first adventure together out with a sitter!

-Kevin's well has finally calmed down, thank Goodness!

That's all that's going on here. Oh, other than the fact that Hans picked out a "real" outfit today! No Jammies! He wore Jean shorts, no socks, a long-sleeved orange T shirt under a bright blue and yellow Floral shirt. I should have gotten a picture! It was quite a sight. Elle is bringing Green Wreath Cookies to class tomorrow, sharing one of her family traditions. I better go make them, YUM!

Lara

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Hans' outfit! His color choices sound great. Elle has also been known to put together some pretty cool outfits. Maybe he has been watching her.

Have fun on Saturday evening. Courtney sounds like a special young lady. We're glad she is in your lives.

Enjoy your cooler weather. Wish we had some warmer weather!!

Love, Grandma Kathy and Grandpa Dale

Anonymous said...

Hey Lara I don't think I have the right email address for you. Email me! If y'all are in Dallas it is possible we might me up. I'm there later this month.

-- Erin

Vickie said...

Take a picture of the green wreath cookies while you're at it. I'd like to see what we're aiming for.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

VB
erinbuenger.blogspot.com

Kerri Schaefer said...

Glad to hear things are well! I pray for Hans and the other "transplant" guys often! You are never far from my mind! Thank you so much for honroing Malachi with your donation to Snowdrop! I can't wait to run...I never dreamed I would go further that a few miles at a time! the things our children have taught us through this journey called cancer! Lots of love your way during the holidays! Hug Hans and Elle tight!!!

Kerri
www.carepages.com
visit:buddhabelly