About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Friday, August 17, 2007

We Did It! Registering with National Marrow Donor Program Was Easy!

After going through the Bone Marrow Transplant with Hans and seeing everything we saw, Kevin and I have been wanting to get on the donor registry. Some kids (like Serenity) go forward with a less than perfect match in a desperate hope for a cure. We couldn't believe how easy it was to get on the registry. We just walked into the Gulf Coast Blood Center (right here in The Woodlands at the College Park Shopping Center). It took less that 20 minutes in and out the door. All we did was fill out a 3-page form with contact info and a brief health history. We took four cotton swabs to the insides of our cheeks, and that was it no pokes, no blood draws! We were 'outta there', as Hans says. And it was FREE. If you go through the registry on line, it costs about $60 per person to order the kit.

If we match, I guess what happens next (about 1 out of 200 on the registry will eventually match some one), is that we'll go through further screening and then we'll see if we can help. Then, either marrow would be drawn through a bone marrow aspiration from the front or the back of the hips, or a peripheral stem cell collection with pheresis. It said it's a total of about 30-40 hour commitment for the donor and all costs are covered by the recipient's insurance.

I found it interesting that it was a lot less restrictive than giving blood. Here's some brief details, you can donate if you are:
  • between the ages of 18 and 60
  • relatively healthy
  • not at risk for HIV or Hepatitis
  • there are no minimum weight requirements, nor the same travel restrictions as with giving blood
  • there is a specific need for ethnically diverse donors

You can look at http://www.giveblood.org/ for more info. My friend Sunny said that there is a similar program for Marrow Donors in Seattle, as I'm sure there is in California and other parts of the country.

I just feel that this is the least we can do in Honor and Memory of Sweet Serenity and Nathan.

Love, Lara

Do it! It's so easy! After watching people not have a match and not make it....It's simple. Put a Q-tip in your mouth and you're done. Maybe it makes a difference!?

Thanks
Love Kev.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've thought about doing this before but now I feel even more convinced it would be a good thing to do. Thanks for sharing your experience and for the info about Seattle. I'm going to be over there for a few days next week so I think I will get on the phone and see if I can get more info. I hope you are battoned down in case Hurricane Dean comes your way, I woll be keeping your family in my prayers. Love to you all, Cindy

Anonymous said...

After your last request for folks to sign up to be marrow donors, I sent off for the packet. It came a few weeks later, I swabbed my cheeks, popped everything in the mail, and sent it all back. Five weeks later, I got my card. It was so easy, and knowing that it can save someone's life is amazing.

Katie Tierney
Chaska, MN

Anonymous said...

Thanks Katie- I think it's really neat that you did that!
Lara