About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Tuesday the 8th

Hello! Hans is doing pretty well. As I type this Hans and Elle are actually boxing a punching bag here in the room. So, he must be feeling pretty great.

Today his counts were still up. His ANC actually grew to 12,000, and his HGB and Platelets are still good. They took him off GCSF, and in order to get him closer toward going home:
  • they reduced his morphine by half and removed the self control feature,
  • they added oral methodone to help him wean off of the morphine,
  • they are reducing his TPN from 24-hour to 18-hour,
  • they are reducing his Lasix (to drain off excess fluids),
  • and they are also going to think about thinning out his antibiotics,
  • he is taking sips of drinks and asking for food, if not eating.

I feel pretty good about all this. I think some other little kiddo will be needing our room by Friday, and hopefully we can oblige!

My mom and Pati made it back to Seattle okay last night, and back to work today, poor girls!

Last night the floor had the sad event of losing little Marilyn, a 10-year-old BMT patient from Oklahoma. My heart breaks for her family. I didn't even get a chance to meet her, but I wish I had. My prayers are with them all tonight.

Lara

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good evening, everyone!
It is fabulous to read about Hans' great progress!
We, too, are saddened about Miss Marilyn's death and we hold her and her family in our hearts lovingly.
HOME! What a place to be...and visualize in the very near future!
Whoo hoo...I will call you when you get there!
Love and hugs,
Aunt Susy, John, Buzzy, and Leo the Lion

Anonymous said...

Hi! It's so great that Hans is doing so well! I'm saying lots of thank-you prayers. It's wonderful to hear that Hans is up and playing. I am also saddened to hear of Marilyn's death. I will be praying for her family, kids are not suppose to die before their parents. But I trust that I don't see the big picture and God does but my heart still breaks when I hear of a young persons death. Love to you all, Cindy