About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Hans seems to be improving over the course of the weekend. He had been pretty low-energy all weekend, but yesterday he just seemed a little bit better. It was the first day that I felt like we'd make it all the way to Thursday without an extra Clinic Visit. He is eating well - his requests have included smoothies, lemonade, eggs, spaghetti, milk, juice and chips, as well as more chicken wings. He doesn't eat large volumes of food, but does eat all day long. He is very thin now, so I'm pretty much getting him whatever he asks for. He's starting to be more and more active. I took him in the bike seat and we had gone ten miles and were almost home before he started complaining! I am hoping and praying for good counts at our visit tomorrow.

We got the nicest surprise in the world on Friday. We got a letter from Kevin's old buddy from growing up in Ellensburg, Scott McDermott. He and his wife Bethany and her study group at WWU had done a fundraiser for Hans! They sold concessions at a little league tournament in Lake Stevens, WA for him. I think Kevin scanned in the photos, maybe I can post them tonight. It was heartwarming and surprising! Thanks guys.

It's 85 and getting humid in Houston. This is the last day of school for Elle! And, yes, mom, she did pass second grade! Ha Ha.

Lara

4 comments:

Blair said...

Always glad to hear good news! I got a letter from Kevin Brady yesterday about research funding, I'll scan it and e-mail it to you!

Talk soon, B (and the rest!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Weberlings! Glad to hear hans is improving!! We will continue to pray for his total recovery. And especially tomorrow for good counts. It is supposed to be 93 degrees hear in Eburg today! Love to you all, Cindy

Anonymous said...

Wow La......I sure do miss your weather......ha!

Elle - a 3rd grader.......you are growing up too fast!

Kevin - what nice friends you have. That was soooooo nice of them to do the fundraiser.

And, Hansie - you keep eating, playing and sleeping. I'm so proud of you. I haven't found anymore sponge animals but I keep looking and I'll find them one day soon. Would you like something else? Let me know. xoxoxoxo pl

Anonymous said...

HELLO!
Hansie, you are TOTALLY amazing! I am so glad food looks and tastes good again! Smoothies are one of my personal favorites...healthy, too!
Elle....WHOO HOO! I only wish you were close enough to be in MY third grade classroom!
Great job, Lara and Kevin!
Love and Hugs,
Aunt Susy, John, Buzzy, and LEO the LION....who ROARS with a grin!