About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Hans at Home

Hans is having a bit of a rough time this weekend. He's detoxing off the morphine. It's a little scary because he's been vomiting more than he did at the hospital and so he's having a hard time keeping meds down. They actually told us we didn't have to worry about his oral antibiotics over the weekend, which is a big relief. They sent us a prescription for an alternate to a liquid for nausea. Now he's got a dissolvable pill that should be effective even if he doesn't take the whole thing. Let's hope it works so we can still get the steroids and Methadone in him.

He's been very restful, just quiet and still, and taking little sips of liquid. They say it's probably mostly coming down off the Morphine that's making him sick now, so he should be over that within the next several days. We have another clinic appointment on Monday. The clinic visit on Friday went pretty well. His counts were good enough not to need blood or platelets. Dr. Carla actually told me we could "graduate" back to the regular Hem/Onc (Hematology /Oncology) Clinic, but I gave her a freaked out look and she said I could have one more visit on the Bone Marrow Transplant Clinic. I said, "Okay." They seem to be pretty good about knowing what to expect, so I need to be weaned off of them, I guess.

Happy mother's day to all the mamas out there. Especially our moms and grandmas - Grandma Stephanie, Grandma Kathy, Grandma Diana, and Great Grandma Jean, Great Grandma Lorraine, and Great Grandma Shirley. I'm also thinking of my Gram Gram and Grammy today, Patricia Daniels and Tynne Cady.
Love, Lara

PS scroll down to see some more photos from the first communion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lara,
Happy Mother's Day. You don't know me, but I'm Cindy Dyk's daughter and I hear so much about you and your family. I have followed your journey since the beginning. I pray for you often for strength as you go through all of this. I just wanted to wish you a Happy Mother's Day, because you show even strangers what it means to be a great mom! Your family is blessed to have you in their lives. Hope your day was great! -Melanie Miller

Anonymous said...

Hi sorry to hear Hans is having a rough time, I hope that passes quickly. He has become such a part of my day, I don't like it when things get rough. He is so strong, as are all of you, Your family is amazing. Tell Elle she is beautiful, she looks like an anjel in her white dress and that new do is so cute! I hope your Mother's day was wonderful, how could it nt be with those two great kids of yours. Love, Cindy