About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Friday, January 12, 2007

Oops - my bad

Okay - so I was kind of sort of wrong about the blood donation process... I thought I had set up an account where donors could give directly in Hans' name for some kind of insurance break or credit on blood received in his name. I guess I got confused - this was early in diagnosis, and I was kind of a mess - I'll blame it on that. They do have a program kind of like that, but it is only for uninsured. Fortunately, we do have insurance for Hans. Nonetheless, we can still go out and give blood this week. Hans will be using units this week. I read on the Gulf Coast website that we need about 800 units of blood each day in this area. So - still go out and give if you are willing and able, but don't worry about trying to do so in Hans' name. I also did find out that you do not have to be a parishioner to give at Sts. Simon and Jude this weekend. Maybe I'll see you there!
Lara

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lara, Kevin, Elle and Hans - we are thinking about you and keeping up with the blog. We can't donate blood in Texas, but we can do it here and will soon. Just wanted to let you know you are all in our thoughts.

Jill, Clay, Nathaniel and Serena Arango

Blair said...

Think about you guys all the time, we'll have to get together sometime, I've been so busy with Kim and the kids my correspondence has been lil'-to-none recently with anybody, though! Talk soon, give Elle and Hans a big hug for me and tell Kevin WHAT'S UP!