About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Message from Lara

Hi everyone,

Well, it has been 17 days now - and our lives have been totally turned upside down. I am taking my first few moments away to sit at a computer while Hans is napping and Kevin is watching football (no one ever had to twist my arm to get me away from a football game!).

I just want to give a brief update and extend my thanks to everyone.

Hans had a pretty rough day yesterday. He spiked a fever early Saturday morning, and was quickly treated with preventative anitbiotics while they waited for labs to come back (we're still waiting on those). Then, due to a low level of platelets, he had nose bleeds throughout most of the afternoon. It was a little scary to witness, especially when we couldn't do much to stop it. So, we're staying at the hospital until the doctors are sure he is free of infection and that he won't go home with bleeding problems. We would love to be home, but are prefectly pleased to stay here as long as Hans needs to be under a close eye. Things are looking up today, he has been playing with cars and hanging out with his Mom and Dad. He's still not eating much but a few pretzels, but he is drinking lots of Sprite now.

I am usually pretty compulsive about sending thank you notes, but I don't think I could even being to keep up these days - please know that we're so very appreciative of all your gifts, notes, cards, and most of all prayers and well-wishes. Kevin and I can't even believe the love! Hans especially loved the Buzz Lightyear toy and the Cars Little Golden Book some one from school sent! He just can't wait for Tuesday when the movie comes out on DVD. I'm sure Kevin will be the first in line to pick it up on Tuesday morning.

I'm looking very forward to the race! Thanks so much to everyone for their hard work on it. It's pretty mind boggling that it could be put together in just 3 weeks of Hans' ER Admission! How did you do that????

Well - the library has already stayed open an extra 15 minutes and now must close. I'll update the blog as I am able.

Thank you very much.

With love,
Lara

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys are in our thoughts and prayers and we look forward to hearing when Hans gets to go home. Lara--I miss talking to you about our classroom and I think about you guys always. Hopefully, we will get to see you at the race. Take care and hug Hans for all of us!

Anonymous said...

Kevin and Lara -- I know you have enough to deal with without the distraction of constantly ringing phones so I haven't been calling, but I'm getting daily updates from my mom and my thoughts and love are with you all! Mucho love, Erin

Kim Tyler said...

We're reading this blog, and getting frequent updates from Phil & Megan. Please know that we are holding you all in our hearts and prayers, here in Santa Cruz. We send love to all of you in the family.
Kim & Daniella

Anonymous said...

Hello Lara and family. I found out today about the journey Hans and all of you are going through. Know that I will send you many loving and healing thoughts and energy so that Hans can be home sooner than later. With Love,

Josie from Salinas, CA
Ex roomate at MRCC

Anonymous said...

Lara-
I just wanted you to know that since putting up the flyer for the walk/crawl (run for everyone else) at the store I have had so many people speak to me about you guys. For such a short time here you sure have made a big impact on everyone. I wanted to pass along the love everyone expresses for you guys and let you know how much people are thinking and praying for Hans and your whole family. Love
Parish

Anonymous said...

Lara, I wanted to let you know that the Cars book was sent from his class up at St. Anthony's. We Hope he is enjoying all the crafts that we are sending him and let us know if there is anything else he needs. Megan