About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Friday, August 28, 2009

First Week Report

Hello to Hans Fans!

I have some very good news. Hans has had 4 great days out of 5. His one rough day even ended up working out okay. If you have seen me this week, I'm sure I look like I'm on cloud nine. I'm just so proud of my big boy for going off to school, and, needless to say, I'm proud of my big beautiful girl too. She's off to a great start in her new school. So far, she says Band is her favorite class, and I'm not even sure if they've let her blow into her Clarinet yet.

In order to ease Hans into the school routine, I have been picking him up after lunch. I think he adores his half day schedule, and I think it's a good way into this next phase of life. The next 13 or 17, or more years anyway...school years!
Hans wrapped up Round 9 of his ABT751 yesterday. It was amazing - somehow it didn't seem to affect his mood or sleep much. Yay! I was literally blown away that he was able to start school so well this week. His rough day was Thursday, when he just didn't want to go. I am hoping that as he has more good days under his belt, the rough days will be fewer and farther between.

Soccer started this week, so I'm having to get the hang of having three weeknights dedicated to training. Luckily, Elle should still be able to fit in Girl Scouts and join the Science Club at her school. We are even hoping she can squeeze in volleyball during her winter soccer break.

The next CNCF fundraiser bake sale is two weeks from today. Shoot me an email kevinandlara@hotmail.com if you'd like to bake or come volunteer down at TCH on 9/11/09. This is the Back to School Bake Sale. There are far too many kids who aren't enjoying the whole back to school routine this fall. They are either gone, or they are too sick to be at school. Let's do what we can to raise some more research money and get more of these kids Back to School!

Thanks, as always, for checking up on us. And, thanks for your 'super cool school' thoughts and prayers for Hans. I think they are working; keep 'em comin'!

Love, Lara

No comments: