About Me

My photo
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Hans was a busy, happy, sweet and fearless three year old when he was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. He fought his disease like a "gladiator" for nearly 6 years. Hans was an animal lover to his core. He was 'guarded' at home by his three cats, Black, Orange and Cotton. He also had his Golden Retriever, Honey, to keep him company. Hans enjoyed swimming, biking, gardening, grilling (he had his very own grill!), horseback riding, playing video games, building Legos, and flipping between Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Animal Planet. Hans loved all members of his family and he was a loyal friend. He had to go through a lot of treatment in his life. But Hans powered through it. His attitude was let's get this done! His motivation was always to get back home, to his family, pets, favorite foods and pool.

Friday, September 28, 2007

A year ago today...the 28th

So...Again, I can't stop thinking about it!
One year ago today, I really didn't know what to do. Our doctor was supposed to call us back and tell us what to do next. I thought Hans would be put on antibiotics and have to stay home from school. We didn't hear back, and then it was time to go into Little Saints where I worked and Hans was in a Pre-K 3 class two days a week. We went and I was frantically leaving messages for the doctor. They did an opening prayer at school that day and I passed on as much information as I had to the teaching team - "don't let Hans use straddle toys!" Then, I waited as the doctor's office returned my calls. It was a medical assistant getting back to me. Each time she would give me one piece of information, I'd have another question. Then, I'd have to wait for her to find the doctor and call me back. By the end of the day I think I must have had 6 calls back from them and all I knew was that I was being referred out to a Pediatric Urologist at Texas Children's. They first tried to give me an appointment three weeks out. I told them that was unacceptable. I had absolutely no direction as to how to take care of has with his "possible infection or injury", I knew there was no way I could wait three weeks! My coworker was getting worked up about what was going on too. She phoned her father-in-law, a doctor. He suggested I take Hans right down to the Texas Children's Hospital ER. But, for some reason, I thought I'd just wait and follow the advice of our doctor. We would wait for the appointment with the Pediatric Urologist... Meanwhile, Hans was sidelined from his first ever soccer team. However, Kevin was still coaching his team. We were just keeping him off straddle toys and waiting...

Lara

1 comment:

Kim Tyler said...

Laura,
You write so well and have such vivid memories. I think you could make a book, or at least a publishable article, out of these memories. Think about it (as if you need something else to do in your "spare time!" Ha).
Still reading Hans blog every day and thinking about all of you with love,
Kim